Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Now I've heard everything

Tags
heard
2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  GentleHands McCoy 
#1 ·

I was just exposed to this. Bluegrass metal.

One man project, one of my buds is actually filling in for them when they do an irregular live performance at Migration Fest this summer.

I don't know what to think. But maybe I haven't had enough moonshine.

#2 ·
I fucking love this album. It's such a cool, unique album even though on paper it sounds like it shouldn't work at all. Black metal with banjos and flutes? Random protest song interludes? Samples of some grizzled old coal miner talking about being beaten by the foreman and going on strike? What the shit? But somehow it works, for me anyway.

The couple of albums that came after this are a little more traditional black metal and not as heavy on the bluegrass stuff, but still really cool. Dude is involved in like six other bands too. He's prolific as hell.

#4 ·
This came highly recommended on one of NPR's "metal albums to listen to" lists. Not really my thing but I totally respect the idea of a different kind of desolation than the frostbitten Scandinavian wastes.

#8 ·
You know I could really dig this, but the flute sounds extremely off key (at least in the first song) and it irritates the shit out of me. A shame, because the rest is really cool, and I actually enjoy the bluegrass parts a lot. Will check out the rest of the album still.

#9 ·
You know I could really dig this, but the flute sounds extremely off key (at least in the first song) and it irritates the shit out of me.
Thats because its shit and they are not very good at the instruments they are trying to rape.

It's a shame when people try so hard to be different, but just are not that talented to be so. People still eat the shit up though. :picard:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.