An Interesting Perspective On The History Of Rock and Roll

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: An Interesting Perspective On The History Of Rock and Roll

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

An Interesting Perspective On The History Of Rock and Roll

Short version: Bob Dylan witnessed the powers that be segregate the musical landscape after rock and roll pioneers were bringing races together through music. The powers that be made sure that things couldn't get out of hand.

The full article is linked at the end of this excerpt:

A Journal of Musical ThingsBob Dylan Explains What Killed Rock'n'Roll-And It's Not What You Think - A Journal of Musical Things

Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD):

ME: Ibanez RG1570
    Rig: 6505+/EVH 212cab\cabclone

Interesting. Not sure who did what. But certainly there is a racial divide. Black rockers and white hip hop artists are rare. I even see it with kids who feel that hip hop is for blacks and country is for whites.

Now was it to keep people divide or marketing strategy who knows.

Music evolves. I think "rock n roll" more or less died decades ago of natural causes as it evolved into rock, hard rock, and eventually metal. Hip hop exploded along the way. So I think the "segregation" of the music industry is more coincidence than conspiracy theory. But it's definitely perpetuated by the industry (and the listeners). I read that Dionne Farris had a difficult time convincing her label to let her do rock. They wanted her to do soul. After all, she became famous for her vocals on Tennessee, an iconic hip-hop/soul record. She had a awesome hit rock song anyway, "I know." And the dude who co-wrote that now fronts Alice in Chains.

I think it's a case of the glass being half full or half empty. If you look for segregation and protectionism in music, you'll find it. If you look for integration and collaboration, you'll find it.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

I think the point that Dylan was making was that it wasn't coincidental, it was encouraged to separate the groups via their music.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

What a rambling, incoherent mess of an article, hitting all the usual pseudo-intellectual Rolling Stone floptwaddle.

The record and radio industries have been rigidly segregated since day one--long before rock 'n' roll--and remain that way. Some of that has always been intentional, and some reflects the underlying fact that black and white America have profoundly different cultures that overlap in some ways but also repel each other.

This article focuses on how black artists affected white audiences, but is curiously silent on the reactions of black audiences both to white performers in general and to black performers who manage to reach white audiences. It wasn't oppression that caused black audiences to largely reject Jimi Hendrix and Funkadelic. It was largely cultural--the noises those performers made were simply not appealing to many in black America.

I would say there is more cultural crossover in American society now, but the cultural divide is still very strong. We humans, after all, have a love of dividing ourselves into "tribes" at any opportunity. It doesn't take a conspiracy of record industry hacks to make that happen.

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

While everything on race in that article is fairly common knowledge. Clearly someone hasn't realized rock n roll is dead because society has largely moved on. Pop music doesn't need that edge that it used to, in fact edgy or non derivative music seems to be pretty looked down upon by many.