Metal Guitarist Forums banner

What's up with all guitarists playing "1st note over base chord" nowadays???

3K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  jaxadam 
#1 ·
What's up with all guitarists playing "1st note over base chord" nowadays???

It's fucking annoying. Not the actual choice of note, but that I can predict that certain guitarists are going to do it.

For example, Jared Dines uploaded a video where soem of his followers got included on a shred compilation... And before I clicked I thought "there's going to be an immense number of 1st note over base chord going on in this one"... And I was 100% right!

0:12 (first guitarist)
0:23 (second guitarist)
0:54, 1:03 (fourth guitarist)
1:24 (later guitarist)
3:17 (another later guitarist)

And to top it off, there's also a fair shair of that "twidjoo" string dragging before a note. You SHOULD know what I mean. There's a lot of it in this video.

And as said, I have no problem with the choice of note. I think it can be cool, and I do it at times to (however often as a double string bend and a little Floyd-vibrato for effect) but do you also think it's so cliche it's ridicolous?

Iron Maiden also does it at 4:32 !!!

I actually looked at random solo clips and thought "this one should have it"
And YES it had! At 0:43 there is it! It's almost exactly the same as Maidens above :lol:

Here's another! 5:22!!!!!!!!! :lol:

See less See more
#4 ·
Maiden is the most obvious example, I think they play E and the guitarist (Adrian probably) plays a F (or what its called, I suck at music theory)

If the band plays A the guitarist plays B (this I know)

And often with that particular bend.

The 1st and last notes of a phrase usually have a relation to the underlying/implied chord. Do you mean that they start with the root?
One note over

Lets say the base chord is A
Then these guitarists play a B

#23 ·
I have actually sent all 3 necks with too high floyd shelves to Warmoth today.
It took me 1 week to get the customs papers sorted out, but now it's finally away... My girlfriend was so fucking tired of me trying to get these necks sent... It was one of my most anxious weeks I've ever had :lol: I can't do important paperwork, there's too much details and shit I get hang up on

What's with people constantly trashing other people 'these days'. People do stuff, move on.
I don't trash them, I find it funny.

Not annoying because they play it, but because it's so predictable that you know you'll hear it when you open some solo video on Youtube.

I do a lot of predictable stuff too, that 80% of all metal guitarists do when they play solos, but that one particular thing, just pops out more than others.

#29 · (Edited)
What you mean? They use small measurements when measuring really small things, because it's important.
Just like guitar string action can't be measured in just millimeters, it has to be smaller than that, but not as small as scientists use when for example bacteria or dinosaur bones, or maybe when they aim a rocket at space

I don't know why I got scientists into the picture...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.