There's no music industry anymore, why would we make an album?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: There's no music industry anymore, why would we make an album?

There's no music industry anymore, why would we make an album?

I've made this exact same question to a friend releasing a record last year.. why spend money on the studio when there wont be any sales?

Roger Daltrey: There's no music industry anymore, why would we make an album? - News - Classic Rock

The way I see it is right now Bands /Musicians release Albums just for an "excuse to have something new to Tour", but what about the old bands? They have more than enough material to keep touring until retirement, so why keep releasing new Music as a Record or Full Album?

Sure some of us still buy CD's, more as an habit than anything else, I always rip them because its easier to carry them around whenever I go and I only buy them because I don't pay for mp3's (Itunes).

But... yes there real a reason to keep making 8-12 songs Albums that large majority of people wont even listen fully (latest DT anyone..ZzZzZzZz), not even mentioning buying them.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD/RG760
    MA: Seagull S6
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

Artistic expression?
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

My wife works for a music attorney here in Nashville and I assure you...there is still a music industry and its making huge bucks.

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

The statement "There's no music industry anymore" is pretty idiotic. You think people like Taylor Swift and Beyonce are only making their money from touring and they have absolutely zero album sales? If you think that, then you're just insane.

Roger Daltrey is like 72 years old, pretty senile, and his fans are mostly into the stuff he wrote and performed back 40 or 50 years ago, so sure, there might not be much of a market for him to release a new album now (although I do think he'd make money off it, just not as much as he did with The Who's stuff in the 60s, 70s, and 80s).

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Artistic expression?
    This. I'm making an album because I want to write and record something that will outlast me, and will put good money on studio time because I don't want it to sound like dogshit.

I couldn't give two shits if a single person buys a copy, because I've already got my *backup* career

ME: Electric
    MA: Wooden
    MB: Trout
    Rig: EVH

Do it for the love of music, but I can see that the packaging of 8-12 songs may not be required these days.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

The industry is alive and well - what it's doing is adapting to the streaming model.

Why make an album? Probably because creating new material out of passion for the instrument is a lot of fun, and sharing that with others who enjoy it is also a lot of fun.
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD):

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Why make an album when you can post infinite "mix test" clips?
    Argbadh - RHLCİ