Went to see Victor Wooten tonight

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Went to see Victor Wooten tonight

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

Went to see Victor Wooten tonight

Pretty darn good it was, too. I'm not a big fan of Reggie Wooten's guitar playing, but the rest of the band was tight. Got a little video of one of Wooten's showier solos.

2. Thanked by:

ME: Jackson DKMGT
    MA: Martin GPCPA5K
    Rig: Mindy the Framus Dragon

Nice. I saw Wooten and Steve Bailey do a clinic together when I was in high school. It was nuts.

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

I saw Victor Wooten live last year. When I saw him, it was just him on bass and vocals and J.D. Blair on drums and vocals. Was a pretty awesome show.

Nice video. I always loved the way his basses sound. He switched bass several times when I saw him live and his different basses had completely different sounds. One was kinda metallic and clanky sounding like the one in your video while another was more boomy and low-sounding (like the typical R&B/blues bass sound, I guess).

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

He used two basses tonight, too. The other bassist was doing most of the more traditional lower end playing (he was awesome), but the other bass Wooten had was for the less aggressive stuff and probably had a softer sound like you're describing, although I couldn't really tell a difference (he was using the same amp for both, and didn't appear to change any settings ever, so not sure how apparent it would be).

It's always really inspiring to see great players like these guys. It's bad luck that I have to get up and do a rare day at the office tomorrow, I'd like to spend the night noodling away.

ME: CU24
    MA: Baby Taylor
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Hartke HyDrive 210/Mk IVa

You can watch that vid with the sound off and KNOW you are watching a world class musician Vic is THE MAN, no question about it.
    "Let us be kind one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle”" Ian McLaren

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

A man goes to a pacific island for vacation. As the boat nears, he notices the constant sound of drumming. As he gets off the boat, he asks a native how long the drumming will go on. The native casts about nervously and says "very bad when drumming stops."

Later that day, the drumming is still going and it is really starting to get to him. So, he asks another native when the drumming will stop. The native looks as if he's just been spooked. "Very bad when drumming stops," he says, and hurries off.

After a couple of days with little sleep, the man had had enough. He grabbed the first native he saw, slammed him up against a tree, and shouted, "What happens when the drumming stops?!"

The native replied, "Bass solo."

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

Reggie Wooten is one of the most talented and annoying guitarists I've ever seen. I want to leave the room about 30 seconds into his playing.

MA: Alvarez FDT243C
    MB: Spector Euro4LXStarr
    Rig: 6505+ / SVT-II Pro

Wooten's main bass is a Fedora Ying Yang.