Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New Meshuggah out today (The Violent Sleep of Reason)

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  RGhoarder 
#1 ·
I'm currently about halfway through the album. So far, so good.

Long story short: Recorded live to tape with tube amps, acoustic drums, and speakers and mics and shit.

#2 ·
YES. I am about to go pick this up from the mall & blast it on the way to my job (Starbucks).

I was beyond excited to find out they recorded this album live.
Thomas went even into detail of how certain parts could even been played to a metronome because the notes & rhythms had to be "felt" within the groove.

#3 ·
I obtained a copy Wednesday and it didn't disappoint. It's a good mix of Koloss/Obzen/Chaosphere. Very dark production, kinda doom-metal feel at times. If you don't like Meshuggah then this album won't convert you but it's probably my favorite other than their "I" EP. :yesway:

#4 ·
I'll definitely check this out - I'm hoping this is the beginning of the end of quantized, punched-in-note-by-note, heavily edited djent. :lol:

#8 ·
Listening on one earbud while I run some stuff at work - so far, I dig this. It sounds refreshingly different - "human" is a good word for it.

#9 ·
Catch 33 is maybe my favourite album of theirs (this is looking like a contender for #1 though), but I don't dig obZen and Koloss as much. Maybe because Catch 33 was very openly inhuman, more as a style in itself? Whereas a lot of bands are just using that technique to play beyond their level [insert HAARP Machine low blow here]. But I'm really liking how raw and high energy this new album is; it's a metal album with 8 string guitars, and not "djent".

I finished it and really dig it. It sounds consistent, but each song has its own unique vibe (it reminds of of After the Burial's Rareform in that sense). I just downloaded it on Apple Music to start, but I ordered it on vinyl, too. Since the recording was so analog, it'll be interesting to hear how it opens up on vinyl.

#10 ·
Definitely human.
The first "Clockworks" the drum grooves were so intense & different that Thomas had to turn off the metronome & just feel the grooves to the rhythm. INSANE.
Haake is a KING.

#13 ·
Pretty decent overall but their singer is awful. It's like he's always singing the same song, but it's never the song the rest of the band is playing :lol:

But I suppose there's not a whole lot you can do with vocal melodies over music like that.

#18 ·
Ola, saw you were credited with "thanks" for the album! Congratulations on all the success man! You inspire us! :)
My Dad loves your stuff too. Haha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.