Chuck Berry dies at age 90 - Page 2

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Berry dies at age 90

ME: LTD Deluxe EC-1000
    Rig: Roland Cube 60x

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

This is going to be a bitch of a death for the rock/metal community to handle.

It's necessary to preserve his legacy as one of the folk heroes of rock, because he was massively/pre-eminently important...

But holy fuck did he do a lot of reprehensible/disgusting shit. In the current SJW climate that is going to be a shitstorm in the next couple of days. It's no secret that rock/metal is a bunch of old white guys who are willing to look the other way on shit like that. If he was anyone less important/foundational it wouldn't even be a question, but unfortunately he's so incredibly influential that we're just going to excise all the nasty bits for the good of community and the sense of history.

It's no secret that I fucking hate Jimmy Page and don't listen to Led Zeppelin. That dude straight up raped/kidnapped some underage girl. Even if I did like their music that much (I don't), I'm not for idolizing shitty people. I don't listen to Dissection at all, I can't personally reconcile liking some douchebag murder for their art and don't subscribe to "separate the art and the artist" bullshit.

So yea, tough situation to say the least. It's not right to look the other way on all the terrible shit he did, but he's too important to write off.

Guess that's the human condition or some shit. Massively important dude, really of unprecedented importance, but I am disappointed in a lot of the communities willingness to "forget" a lot of the horrible shit he did.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

What if you're just uneducated on it? *points to himself*

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    What if you're just uneducated on it? *points to himself*
    Better to stay that way in all honesty.

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: USA Jazz Special
    Rig: ENGL

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post

It's necessary to preserve his legacy as one of the folk heroes of rock, because he was massively/pre-eminently important...

But holy fuck did he do a lot of reprehensible/disgusting shit. In the current SJW climate that is going to be a shitstorm in the next couple of days. It's no secret that rock/metal is a bunch of old white guys who are willing to look the other way on shit like that. If he was anyone less important/foundational it wouldn't even be a question, but unfortunately he's so incredibly influential that we're just going to excise all the nasty bits for the good of community and the sense of history.

It's no secret that I fucking hate Jimmy Page and don't listen to Led Zeppelin. That dude straight up raped/kidnapped some underage girl. Even if I did like their music that much (I don't), I'm not for idolizing shitty people. I don't listen to Dissection at all, I can't personally reconcile liking some douchebag murder for their art and don't subscribe to "separate the art and the artist" bullshit.

So yea, tough situation to say the least. It's not right to look the other way on all the terrible shit he did, but he's too important to write off.

Guess that's the human condition or some shit. Massively important dude, really of unprecedented importance, but I am disappointed in a lot of the communities willingness to "forget" a lot of the horrible shit he did.
    Better to stay that way in all honesty.
    Dude, I know he did some terrible shit. I, and many others I assume, are praising his mark left on music and the instrument. Make a separate thread and bash him all you want but I don't think this is the thread to stand on your soapbox. Unless your intention was to make people feel like shit for commenting on a guitar/music ledgend that passed when most probably have no idea of his troubled history in his personal life.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.Ē ― Alan Moore

ME: Ibanez 540S & S540
    MB: Ibanez SG200
    Rig: Blackstar Core 40

Can just hear him and BB King jamming in heaven... #BestBlues/RockConcertEVER
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ô - Iím not just a member, Iím the President.
    Donít expect much, itís not like Iím a rocket surgeon.

Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

Don't know that anyone "forgets;" some people just don't know or never looked into it.

I knew Chuck Berry as a musician, not personally. I also didn't know Ike Turner, BB King, Muddy Waters, Prince, David Bowie, or Hank Williams, but I can recognize the loss each of their deaths represented to music without saying, "Gee whiz, Wally, he wasn't always the nicest guy in Mayfield."
    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

I had no clue on what he did... it was the mention here that led me to go google it... yeah it was despicable...