Chuck Berry dies at age 90 - Page 3

   Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 49

Thread: Chuck Berry dies at age 90

  1. #17


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    But holy fuck did he do a lot of reprehensible/disgusting shit. In the current SJW climate that is going to be a shitstorm in the next couple of days.
    So, don't do your part to make that happen. This is not the time for that (if there is one).

    What's going on, I think, is that you're not old enough to remember when rock 'n' roll was considered dangerous music made by dangerous people. Even well into the '80s, it was usually assumed that rock musicians were total reprobates. It was during the '80s, when "rehab culture" came into vogue and the Sixties generation entered middle age, that this started to change. The music and musicians became more respectable. Now, it's "dad music."

    Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis and B.B. King and Ike Turner and Johnny Cash were all roadmen who lived basically outside the law, not that different than bikers or drifters. That was a lot of their appeal, in a much more constrained age. The British guys who came after them, like Zeppelin and the Stones, were only more excessive because they had the money to indulge and hide behind security and gated walls.

    If you're going to go all SJW about the classic rock you choose, you might as well stick to Pat Boone and the Osmonds.

  2. #18


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Flexkill View Post
    Make a separate thread and bash him all you want but I don't think this is the thread to stand on your soapbox. Unless your intention was to make people feel like shit for commenting on a guitar/music ledgend that passed when most probably have no idea of his troubled history in his personal life.
    "Hey, maybe it's a bit much to call this dude who has been convicted of rape, sexual assault, and child porn a hero."

    "Get off your damn soapbox."

    Come on dude. Society needs to stop idolozing Rock Stars who did shitty things. Look at the public response to his death. Why the fuck do you think everyone famous that has released a statement is somehow magically 95% men?

    Women aren't saying anything about it, because for the second time in less than a year a bunch of dudes are going out of their way to treat a rapist like a hero. Go look at every article on "celebrities in the music world honoring chuck berry's death". It's all fucking dudes. It's not like the stuff he did is easy to brush off.

  3. #19


    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: Nashville
    ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: USA Jazz Special
    Rig: ENGL

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    "Hey, maybe it's a bit much to call this dude who has been convicted of rape, sexual assault, and child porn a hero."

    "Get off your damn soapbox."

    Come on dude. Society needs to stop idolozing Rock Stars who did shitty things. Look at the public response to his death. Why the fuck do you think everyone famous that has released a statement is somehow magically 95% men?

    Women aren't saying anything about it, because for the second time in less than a year a bunch of dudes are going out of their way to treat a rapist like a hero. Go look at every article on "celebrities in the music world honoring chuck berry's death". It's all fucking dudes. It's not like the stuff he did is easy to brush off.
    Chuck Berry was a major positive influence on my musical life since early childhood. So while I don't in any way support the terrible things he did, I can't change the impact he had on a very important part of my life. So like I said.....not the thread for this shit.

    I never said he was a great person, just saying he was a pioneer for guitar and rock n roll.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No. ― Alan Moore

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  5. #20


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Montreal / QC. / CAN.
    ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

    iTrader: 2 (100%)

    If were going to point out geniuses that also were total assholes, we won't be done soon.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club

  6. #21


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post

    If you're going to go all SJW about the classic rock you choose, you might as well stick to Pat Boone and the Osmonds.
    I know. But there's "SJW" and then there's "basic societal decency" and it's pretty clear a lot of people think he was way past the line. For how important his accomplishments were, the "RIP" response from the entertainment community has been pretty light and overwhelmingly male. No female's are writing editorials about his importance, and that is 100% because there's parts like, "oh that time he raped a 14 year old girl" and the creepy bathroom shit.

    Sexual deviancy/Rock Star excess is one thing, but there are some Rock Stars who have just done disgusting stuff that is beyond "retrobate", and he definitely qualifies. I can't enjoy music from dudes that did egregious crimes. I used to like The Who, after finding out Pete Townsend is a child porn connessieur, not so much. Can't enjoy Motley Crue after finding out nearly every member has like, ten DUI/vehicular manslaughter convictions to their name. Etc. There's a lot of stuff that is forgivable, and honestly the standard is really lenient for famous musicians, but plenty of important musicians are way over the line. Times have changed enough that we should stop admiring them. Especially when there are enough rock stars who do awesome things. Bruce Dickinson is always flying his personal jet doing humanitarian aid stuff. Fuck, he rescued an endangered Sea Turtle. You can stick to music done by people who are at the very least, marginally decent, and still hear most of the good stuff.

    Iron Maiden jet to fly Jersey turtle home to the Canary Islands - BBC News

  7. #22


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
    If were going to point out geniuses that also were total assholes, we won't be done soon.
    That's the easiest response people go to.

    "Oh, a lot of people did bad shit, let's forget the bad shit he did."

    To me that's the most stupidly, eye rollingly bad logic ever.

    I won't argue it anymore, because I don't understand the logic of grown men who look the other way on stuff like that. He was a pioneer, and incredibly important, and everyone should respect the magnitude of the stuff he did, but he wasn't a hero by any stretch of the imagination.

    But yeah, I'm an SJW for thinking raping a 14 year old girl is nitpicking.

  8. #23


    Join Date: Jan 2016
    Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
    ME: S7420
    MB: 'Ray
    Rig: Ironheart

    iTrader: 0

    Not trying to take sides here, because either position is morally grey, but you're literally fighting for social justice.

  9. #24


    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Norman, OK
    Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    That's the easiest response people go to.

    "Oh, a lot of people did bad shit, let's forget the bad shit he did."

    To me that's the most stupidly, eye rollingly bad logic ever.

    I won't argue it anymore, because I don't understand the logic of grown men who look the other way on stuff like that. He was a pioneer, and incredibly important, and everyone should respect the magnitude of the stuff he did, but he wasn't a hero by any stretch of the imagination.

    But yeah, I'm an SJW for thinking raping a 14 year old girl is nitpicking.
    In the late 50's Chuck Berry was not a nice guy... what he did was inexcusable. He went to prison for it. There are stories that he turned unfriendly and hostile to friends and acquaintances after conviction and prison.

    But, I recognize the the contributions Berry made over his long life to music and rock n' roll. I'm allowed to do that without being chastised or branded as an admirer or apologist for his bad acts.

    And I disagree with you... while the "everyone did bad things" excuse is no excuse at all, the easiest path to take is to find fault with everyone else because they don't immediately jump to your point of view and yell, "My God, he's right! I should be so ashamed of myself."
    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

Similar Threads

  1. Jack Bruce dies at age 71
    By Angrychair in forum General Music Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2015, 09:33 PM
  2. Wes Craven dies, age 76
    By Version_6 in forum Art, Movies, Books, TV & Media
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 06:03 AM
  3. Dick Clark dies at age 82
    By darren in forum General Music Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 12:45 AM
  4. medium-hot to very berry hot tele pickups
    By Max in forum Guitar: Instrument Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 03:01 PM

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  Decibel Guitars  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge