Chuck Berry dies at age 90 - Page 6

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Berry dies at age 90

Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    I read that he also had indecent images of minors found during a raid, and that Mann act conviction, as unclear as the trial process sounded, well, he'd taken a 14 year old girl to "work in his club". Come on. He'd also placed a camera in the women's toilets at his club.

He may have changed his ways later in life, but he may have done all sorts of things. We could speculate forever on what he might or might not have done, and what might affect his karmic bank balance one way or the other. It's what we do know that makes him sound like a paedophile, or a seedy pervert at best.

Nobody is telling you how to think (at least, I'm not). McCoy was saying Berry was a bit of a nasty piece of work. I'm unclear on what grounds anybody would dispute that.
    I'm unclear where someone disputed it at all. All anyone said was he was a pioneer in rock 'n roll, a great musician, and then said farewell to a legend.
    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

RIP to a legend who did more than anyone save perhaps BB King to shape the path of the electric guitar.

Doubly so because a lot of his less savory elements were things I'd never heard before, which is always sad to learn about a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    For the first 30 years of its existence, or so, "basic societal decency" and "rock 'n' roll" were antonyms. Again, you're betraying your age and the era you've grown up in.
    Maybe that's what's wrong with rock music today.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    I'm unclear where someone disputed it at all. All anyone said was he was a pioneer in rock 'n roll, a great musician, and then said farewell to a legend.
    Ok, sorry, I phrased that badly. People are disputing that a thread about Chuck Berry is the right place to mention the nasty shit Chuck Berry did. That's crazy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Morality aside (and that's a pretty big point to push aside) I think we definitely have a duty to future generations to present an accurate, less revisionist history version of history to future generations. Whether it's in the microcosm of Rock Music history or History in general.

I mean, if you look into every dumb/reprehensible trend in music over the past 20 years, you can trace a lot of it back to the idea of "The Gospel According to Rolling Stone and VH1: A Heavily Revised History". We should be getting better about that, not worse. "Deeply Flawed" is about the nicest way you can describe it, and it's a testament to how important he was that all the obituaries are so overwhelmingly positive, even though it's a big thing to gloss over.

The fact people think it's inconsequential enough to just forget is a testament to the dumb bro "rock guitar religion" of ages past. Look what happened to Bill Cosby. If this dude wasn't a rock guitar legend it wouldn't even be a question.

It's not even about us 20-40-50 year old dudes bickering about it. There are 11-12 year old kids reading these heavily idealized obituaries. I don't think it's being self righteous to say it's not sending a great message. The stuff in question isn't "bad boy rock n' roll attitude", it's pretty serious stuff.

Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

Ok, sorry, I phrased that badly. People are disputing that a thread about Chuck Berry is the right place to mention the nasty shit Chuck Berry did. That's crazy.

To be perfectly clear, the following are the sorts of statements I was responding to - they're an indictment of the people who recognized his contribution and wish Berry a peaceful journey without also acknowledging his faults.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    It's no secret that rock/metal is a bunch of old white guys who are willing to look the other way on shit like that. If he was anyone less important/foundational it wouldn't even be a question, but unfortunately he's so incredibly influential that we're just going to excise all the nasty bits for the good of community and the sense of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Guess that's the human condition or some shit. Massively important dude, really of unprecedented importance, but I am disappointed in a lot of the communities willingness to "forget" a lot of the horrible shit he did.
    Lee, you may not be trying to tell people how to think or attacking them for what they do think. But between this initial post and the subsequent ones, I believe Garrett was. And that is what I pushed back against.

Look, everyone is entitled to his opinion and his moral outrage... I'm not trying to rob anyone of that.
    Last edited by Assault Bacon; 03-20-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Cassidy, it's about high time to create that user group "Pedophilia is okay if they're a good guitarist".

Didn't Chuck Berry steal one of his biggest riffs from Marty McFly anyways​? Pretty sure i saw that in a documentary.

Reprehensible.
    Spoiler

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: USA Jazz Special
    Rig: ENGL

No, people are disputing that they should be able to make a comment on a legend's passing without being made feel like you are a sympathizer to pedo's.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
    Cassidy, it's about high time to create that user group "Pedophilia is okay if they're a good guitarist".
    Like so^^^
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No. ― Alan Moore