I saw Twelve Foot Ninja last night...

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I saw Twelve Foot Ninja last night...

ME: Charvel SoCal Custom
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

I saw Twelve Foot Ninja last night...

As I've said before about these guys, it's as if Meshuggah, Incubus, and Faith No More had a baby...

Incredibly impressed. Absolutely flawless performance from each and every member, unbelievably tight, and great showmen.

I was particularly impressed with the singer. Anybody who's heard them knows his Patton-heavy influence, but he really is something else. Seamlessly switching from (pitch-perfect) singing, to tasteful screaming. One of the best live metal vocal performances I've seen, quite honestly.

Fantastic live mix, too. HUGE sound. Amazing grooves from these guys, and the switching between styles was also seamless, from the groovy 'djenty' (I guess?) riffs, to the Latin jazz, blues, funk... All done with real conviction and panache. Great band and I hope they only get bigger, they deserve a larger platform for sure.

... And this is all coming from someone who hates 99.99% of the garbage from the genre they're usually lumped in with
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

2. Thanked by:

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Yep. I saw them open for Dead Letter Circus and Periphery, and as great as the other bands were, Twelve Foot Ninja stole the show.

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    As I've said before about these guys, it's as if Meshuggah, Incubus, and Faith No More had a baby...
    That's a great way to describe their sound.

I've really liked those guys for a while now.

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: USA Jazz Special
    Rig: ENGL

I feel dirty for admitting it, but they are pretty damn good. Definitely a huge Faith No More influence going on....Why do they need the Djent sound at all though? Could be so much better IMHO
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No. ― Alan Moore

ME: USA Strat/LP, TAM10
    MB: Ibanez SR305
    Rig: Randall Satan

Any suggestions on where to start with these guys? I've heard nothing but good stuff about them but never checked them out.

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: USA Jazz Special
    Rig: ENGL

Quote Originally Posted by jmeezle View Post
    Any suggestions on where to start with these guys? I've heard nothing but good stuff about them but never checked them out.
    I dig these, but I don't really know to much about them either.

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Flexkill View Post
    I feel dirty for admitting it, but they are pretty damn good. Definitely a huge Faith No More influence going on....Why do they need the Djent sound at all though? Could be so much better IMHO
    Because that "djent" sound is the best part of the band. I could do with less of the reggae and more the "djent" personally.

Quote Originally Posted by jmeezle View Post

ME: Charvel SoCal Custom
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

Quote Originally Posted by Flexkill View Post
    Without the styles contrasting one another I don't think it would be quite so impactive. Plus, I wouldn't really call a lot of the stuff "djent" per se. It's just very heavy groove-orientated riffs. Nothing else about it really fits the archetypal 'djent' formula.