Iron Maiden shelve Hallowed be Thy Name over legal dispute

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Maiden shelve Hallowed be Thy Name over legal dispute

Iron Maiden shelve Hallowed be Thy Name over legal dispute

After being made aware of the legal claim Iron Maiden took the decision to drop the song from their set - including at tonight’s concert at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle - until the dispute was resolved.

“Steve Harris was a fan of Beckett and some six lines from Life’s Shadow were referenced in Steve’s song, Hallowed Be Thy Name.

“As far as Steve is concerned, this matter was settled some years ago by agreement with Robert Barton. Any evidence presented by Mr McKay will be looked at very closely and a Defence at court will be submitted in due course.”

Mr McKay added: "Hallowed be Thy Name isn't just an Iron Maiden song. It's the song that has defined the band.”

source:
    Heavy metal legends Iron Maiden shelve fans' favourite song over legal dispute

ME: Schecter Banshee
    Rig: EVH 5150 III

Maybe they'll add another song from Book of Souls, since nearly half their set list these days are songs from that album
    "Somebody's gettin' choked
    'Cos now its time to pay the piper
    Bums are the type of shit that's in a diaper
    Don't make me have to call a sniper
    And wipe your brains off my windshield wiper, you dirty bug"

-Fred Durst

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Well that sucks.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Eh, Iron Maiden should throw them some cash, because it's not like they can't spare it and those are an integral part of the song and great lyrics. The Beckett song is awesome too, and supposedly this was settled a long time ago.

But "Song that made the band" , Also, Iron Maiden is pretty forthcoming about excerpts of their lyrics not being theirs. And this was settled with the dude who wrote them, the dude taking them to court is just looking for a cash grab.

I mean:
    -Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner
    -The Trooper
    -To Tame a Land

Iron Maiden is my all time favorite band, and the first half of Hallowed is iconic and the first thing I ever heard from them, but it's not the centerpiece of the concert by a long shot. I can think of at least twenty Maiden songs I would rather hear in concert.

I wouldn't say there is a centerpiece of an Iron Maiden concert, but I would say it's been more Fear of the Dark than Hallowed ever since FoTD came out. Fear of the Dark is the one everyone gets super into singing along. Ancient Mariner is also more of a centerpiece on tours where they play it.

I would trade Hallowed's time for something like "Sea of Madness" + "Still Life" in a heartbeat. Hallowed is the position in their setlist where they do the classics everyone expects.

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't do Run To The Hills last time I saw them though. That's the one I would expect at every Maiden concert, and usually it's their last encore. Iron Maiden is *the* definitive metal band though, as well as the definitive live band, you could take out any one song and it wouldn't change shit.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

He's not going to make any friends doing this either, Iron Maiden has the most dedicated worldwide fanbase of any band, not just confined to metal. For longevity, no one comes close, not any of the other huge arena names (Metallica, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc.).

ME: EBMM JP6
    Rig: Unholy Trinity/5153

In my opinion their biggest songs are Run to the Hills, Trooper, Number of the Beast, Aces High, Wasted Years.

Hallowed by thy name and Fear of the Dark are great songs to hear in concert but maybe not songs the average joe might name as a Maiden song they now.

I'll miss it as part of their live set but I'll be okay.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

Now if they could just get a legal dispute over the rest of the catalog, we wouldn't have to hear ANY of these songs.
    Confront and Cry

ME: Ibanez RG2550E
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Never mind the fucking lyrics, that music is straight up 'The Nomad' off of Brave New World! Holy shit...

Especially around 4:45 of the Beckett song onwards

Then check out 4:52 of this...

www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.