Sarah Shook & The Disarmers - Page 3

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Shook & The Disarmers

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

This is worlds better than the common pop-country, but it still sucks.

Save us Hank, you're our only hope.

ME: EBMM JP6 / JP7
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

I am no fan of country, and maybe it's my lack of interest with the genre - but one thing you can say about it is that generally they can all play. I don't know if the standard go-to country licks are the equivalent of a blues guitarist shredding pentatonics (eg: sounds impressive but technically easy) but it seems like most of the big names are rippin' it up pretty well on their instruments. Credit where it's due and all.

Quote Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
    This is worlds better than the common pop-country, but it still sucks.

Save us Hank, you're our only hope.

Maybe it was the mix, maybe it was just everything combined they were trying to do - but this sounded like fucking garbage to me

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

Countercheck with album version to go for sure that you ahte it

Quote Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
    Countercheck with album version to go for sure that you ahte it
    Definitely better than the live version, now if they could just ditch the FFDP bro they brought in to scream lines here and there, it'd be a winner. If he's got more like this, then I'll have to check out more of his stuff.

ME: KxK customs
    Rig: Verellen Amps

i actually liked this. reminds me of punk rock. just grab an instrument and start playing the shit you like. I see a lot of parallels with hank 3. Hank just has the lineage and skills that this band doesn't have. I expected to hate it but i have a soft spot for people just getting out there and doing what they wanna do.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Chiming in only to note that of the "modern" guys in a vaguely country genre, Shooter Jennings and Ryan Adams are hands down my favorites:

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Call it petty, but half of the reason I can't stand Hank III is that half chewed piece of rawhide he wears on his head that I'm assuming is supposed to be a hat.

I'll take any one of The Highwaymen, Hank I (or II) or anyone else over these types. They carried over some of the lyrical themes and the kitchiness of the bluegrasss instruments, but none of the spirit. And the fact 75% of their songs are complaining about other "fake" country musicians is absolutely the hypocritical cherry on top.

I've got a mountain of complaints about "modern country music" but you know what? If Hank Williams or Merle Haggard were born in the 70s or 80s, like current generation country musicians, they wouldn't have been twanging away on a hollow body, they'd probably be cranking through a 5153. Hank I would probably be more like Jason Aldean than he'd be like Hank III.
    Argbadh - RHLCİ