Once upon a time, In Flames used to be awesome. - Page 4

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Once upon a time, In Flames used to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    I still can't listen to this, it just is grating to my ears. I really wish they'd remix it or something since everyone always say it's great but I have to turn it off after like 10 seconds oh well.
    If they remaster them, then no one will really want to buy the new stuff!

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend 7 Strings of Hate View Post
    I totally did. That should tell you something
    I think early In Flames and early Soilwork sound similar, although I think early In Flames is WAY better than early Soilwork. But later In Flames and later Soilwork sound very, very different, and Soilwork annihilates In Flames in their more recent stuff.

Personally, Whoracle is my favorite In Flames album, but I do like them up to Come Clarity. Although I will say that Come Clarity is where they lost me. It's... meh. Not bad necessarily, but not great either.

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

I prefer Dark Tranquility, or Amon Amarth, to everything in this thread...

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

I had a buddy back in high school who was trying to get me into The Jester Race but I wasn't ready for that vocal style yet. It wasn't until a few years later that I heard "Cloud Connected" on one of those Music Choice channels and really dug it. I ended up buying Soundtrack To Your Escape a little while later and I loved the shit out of that record, but it ended there. With each release I keep checking back to see what they're up to and I haven't dug a single fucking thing since. I understand they're really trying to break through and get themselves into that Killswitch/Lamb Of God level and that's admirable, but I don't dig the route they're taking to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Soilwork hasn't released a bad album. Ever. (Though Steelbath Suicide is kind of meh, I guess)

Their latest album is pretty damn kickass too 'n' catchy as fuck. Not a bad song on it.

So much this. I've been listening to The Ride Majestic non-stop since it came out.

Funny story about their line-up for the last few months-

My last band was playing a show out in Hialeah, Fla....on a farm in the middle of fucking no where. We finish our set and a friend told me there was someone who wanted to talk to me after our set so he brings over this metal-looking dude who introduced himself as "Ronnie", said some really nice things about my vocals, we exchanged FB/phone numbers because he wanted to know if I was interested in working together in the future. Fast forward a couple months, I'm getting some ink done and the tattoo artist asks if I know this guy "Ronnie Guitarez", took me a minute, but it came back to me where I had met him. Tattoo artists goes "He just joined some band, he's going to be on the road for almost a year all over the world", so I get back home and check the dude's FB, turned out he was in Soilwork for the remainder of their tour!
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    "Ronnie Guitarez"
    This is a great name.

ME: Schecter Banshee
    Rig: EVH 5150 III

Sadly they don't care when people try to confront them in interviews about their changing musical style. It's always, "Tough titties. We play what we want and the type of music we like. The records still sell regardless." There's little hope they'll ever go back.
    "Somebody's gettin' choked
    'Cos now its time to pay the piper
    Bums are the type of shit that's in a diaper
    Don't make me have to call a sniper
    And wipe your brains off my windshield wiper, you dirty bug"

-Fred Durst

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

Quote Originally Posted by BaptizedBurning View Post
    Sadly they don't care when people try to confront them in interviews about their changing musical style. It's always, "Tough titties. We play what we want and the type of music we like. The records still sell regardless." There's little hope they'll ever go back.
    To be fair, there's no shortage of competent melodeath bands to listen to so it's not like we desperately need In Flames to not suck.