Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Showdown : Nomad 100 vs. Mark IIB

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  MFB 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need some opinions aside from those who chimed in on SS.org...which it seems only 2 members here would have (Ken and Mike). So here's the situation :

Mesa Mark IIB - $400 + shipping

It's a rackmount unit and the clothe part of the head got totally fucked up so it's no longer on there...at all, which is most likely which this is going for so cheap. From what I've heard the IIB isn't a really hi-gain amp and apparently can't get close to modern metal Mesa tones like Lamb of God (Mark IV's); not to mention this also doesn't have the graphic EQ on-board which would require a seperate bedal for.

Mesa Nomad 100W - $500 + shipping

Decent shape, seen it's days kind of thing, with the only real problem being a bit torn to shit and the knobs looking fairly old/out of place. This DOES have the signature Mesa 3 channel setup and the on-board EQ and for $500 as a head it seems like a hell of a steal since the Nomad 45 combos go for about $200-$250 more.

Both of these will be running through an Avatar 2x12 with Celestion V30's

Thanks guys :metal:

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have any experience with a IIB so I'm no help to you there... But, I will say that while I no longer own a Nomad, it's still one of (if not THE) most versatile Mesas (and, by extension, tube amps) I've ever played. The inclusion of the 5-band EQ on the 100 should only make it more absurdly flexible. If you're into the Mark-sort of sound, then you'll probably dig this, though Channel 3 Modern can get quite close to Recto territory.

#4 ·
:jj:

I do love that Recto sound

That video pretty much made me go ":spock:" at the amount of crush he had running on Channel 3 (about 6 minute mark), although he really doesn't do that much rhythm stuff cause he starts talking about how you can find them pretty cheap on eBay but still

#6 ·
I take it that Clip 1 was the Recto and 2 was the Nomad? If so then damn the Nomad is damn good. Any more...intense clips of it?

Damn, I did some reading and I liked the Recto more. The Nomad had a bit of a flubby, open sound but of course your settings aren't gonna be my settings. I think Tom said it best when he compared it to the old Sabbath tone.

#7 ·
Actually, Clip 1 was the Nomad, clip 2 was the Rectifier. :lol: I don't really have anything more intense - I'm not an extreme metal sort of guy, I'm afraid, and I don't own it anymore.

#8 ·
That's cool man, not many people in this world are extreme metal guys - Youtube seems to be letting me down for these sorts of things lately. First it was the V-Max, then some real good V2 videos, Mark IIB/III videos and now this! YouTube step up your game!

#9 ·
Tone is tough to guage on YouTube anyway.

FWIW, the clips were recorded with almost identical settings, so if you like the way a particular set of settings sound on a 3-channel Rectifier's 2nd channel, then you'll probably find something you're happy with on the Nomad.

What kind of a tone ARE you after, anyway?

#10 ·
The best way to put it would be 'a kind of punch in the face, tight metal tone even though you're only tuned to standard'

Notably, both Amon Amarth and Lamb of God seem to be tones like that (and yes I know Amon Amarth are in B) and they both use Mesa so that's why I've kind of veered down this path. I don't need something "D-you-know-whaty" just something tight and articulate while still giving me some meat/punch

#17 ·
ISP Decimator will be run for a noise gate, as for an OD I was gonna try to get a hold of Joe (Bodenhamer) but I doubt he has anything available and there are people who've paid him and received nothing long before me so I'd wanna let him catch up first

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.