Metal Guitarist Forums banner

EQ in fx loop of Rectoverb

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
I like the idea of the Mark series GEQ and was thinking about adding an EQ pedal or rackmount GEQ to get some more tonal shaping. The concern that comes to mind is the parallel fx loop on the RoV. I'm wondering that since the most you can dial in is 90% if that would present any phasing problems or other anomalies. Anyone here have experience with this?

#3 ·
i ended up modifiying my rectoverbs fx loop for the guy i sold it to, made it serial. took about 5 minutes including removing the chassis. there are 3 lugs, each with a wire. you disconnect the right wire, and move the left wire to the middle lug.

******* just got a diagram from mesa today by email. its stupidly easy

but doing that or not, lee is right. in my experience an EQ (generally) belongs out front

#4 ·
Thanks guys. The serial mod seems interesting. I'm wondering if adding a switch to go from serial/parallel would be too difficult...

My only problem with an EQ in front of the amp is it won't react like a global tone control, as apposed to a post-preamp GEQ ala Mark series.

#5 ·
At Rig-Talk, a couple of the guys were talking about how they used another EQ in the Mark effects loop for further tone shaping. Any reason this is more acceptable (in an amp that already has a GEQ) than on the ROV?

#6 ·
In theory it should introduce phase issues.

In practice, I have done it with no problems. The entire Trinity album by Division was recorded with a triple rec with a parametric in the loop.

Use an analog EQ and you should be fine. A digital EQ will add latency and might cause more noticeable phase issues.

#7 ·
i had a 30 band graphic eq in my ROV's loop for about a year untill a few months ago when i realized that the amp just sounded better all around with out it.

But it worked just fine, i basically used it to get a scooped nu metal type sound and then i could switch it off again for the mesa mids sound

#12 ·
Hahahaha, maybe. The problem now is I'm sort of chained to my cubicle, but when things settle down a bit - I DO want to see Vince's band play.

(though, bringing an amp means a long road trip, which means a LOT of vacation time).

Anyway, I still have to make sweet love to that bi chick with a thing for Darth Vader. :flex:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.