Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Gigging Amps - Combos

10K views 64 replies 17 participants last post by  BigM555 
#1 · (Edited)
I know it's been talked about a lot, but I didn't see a definitive thread focused on gigging combo amps.

I play in a rock'ish style band and I've been gigging around with a really terrible amp (crate212), sitting on a 4x12 that's powered by amp's external speaker. Now that I have some cash built up, I'm looking at getting a "real" gigging amp. Does anyone have any feedback, or thoughts on these:

Buy Bogner Alchemist Series 212 40W 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

Buy Bogner Alchemist Series 212 40W 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

I'd like solid, driving tone for both rhythm and leads. Nothing crazy like death metal or anything, just smooth for modern rock stuff. Also, I primarily play with a Gt8, but I'm not against getting rid of it, if the amp sounds good enough.

thanks for any input.

See less See more
#3 ·
I was all about the JSX, but have actually been reading some sort of 'meh' reviews. It's very expensive, and not really any better than most.

I really liked the Bogner. The reviews are great and the drive sounds good. The fender was just a classic amp that I figured I can't go wrong with.

EDIT: I'd also like at least a 2x12 amp. I'm not a big fan of 1x12.

#8 · (Edited)
Have you played a JSX? They're not very expensive at all used, and once you figure out the controls (they're active) it's a nice amp. The Bogner sounded mediocre at best, IMO, having played with it for 45 minutes. It sounds like what it is; a cheap Chinese tube amp.

And thanks TemjinStrife; I forgot about the Stiletto too. Great amp. I'd recommend the 1x12 though, as the 2x12 is hernia inducing.

EDIT

These didn't even sell at the low price they're at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-JSX-212-...c0.m14&_trkparms=65:13|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-JSX-212-...c0.m14&_trkparms=65:13|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50

Or Mesa ROV's

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Rectoverb-...c0.m14&_trkparms=65:13|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Rec...c0.m14&_trkparms=65:13|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50

Those sold, but it gives you an idea what they go for.

Here's a Stiletto 2x12 going on now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Sti...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

#4 ·
What is your budget?

The Alchemist is certainly a 'nice' amp, although I didn't really find it 'special' enough for the price.

In the price range of a new Alchemist, I'd look for (depending on what you want sound-wise):
-Used Mesa RectOVerb
-Used Budda Superdrive 2x12 (30 or 45, depending if you want smoother or crunchier)
-Used Mesa Stiletto
-Used Vox AC30 or AC30CC
-Marshall DSL
-Mesa Lonestar

If you're already hauling a Crate/4x12 to gigs, it might be worth replacing the Crate with an amp head. Any of the above are available as heads for cheaper, and it's a much easier haul in my opinion, as 2x12 combos are HEAVY.

That opens up the possibility of:
-Used Mesa Mark series (you can get some STEALS on these)
-Used Mesa Dual Rec series
-Used Marshall 6100

#5 ·
Yeah, I'm torn on that. I'd like a half stack, but it just seemed more convenient to have a combo. I only bring the full rig when we do larger venues. Earlier this week we played at Harper's Ferry in Boston and it really tried my gear.

Now, we may have a slot at T.T. The Bears Place in Boston, and I don't think it will handle it.

I'd like it to be as cheap as possible, but I can see my range being around $1500. Also, I have this strange mental thing about buying used gear in this price range. I'd prefer new.

I assumed a nice Fender tube amp, teamed with my gt8 would be nice - but I don't really need the GT8 if I find a decent crunch tone on the amp itself. I don't use many effects. I liked the crunch on the Bogner, but don't know too much about them.

Hrmm... Maybe a head is the way to go...

#6 ·
I know you prefer new, but these are honestly killer rock amps. I'd keep an eye on this one... My Series I Superdrive 30 is incredibly touch sensitive, has ridiculous potential volume, and great cleans/mid-gain tones, beyond having a frankly ridiculous amount of gain on tap should you need it.

The SDIIs have a mid shift feature that can give you a more 'modern' distortion sound as well, and the Bright switch gives very sparkly Fender-style cleans.

Budda Superdrive 30 amplifier amp amplifier combo 2x12 - eBay (item 200360623268 end time Jul-14-09 11:55:37 PDT)

#11 ·
the amp delivers that. The head goes for around $1400CAD new, and $900CAD used.

I highly suggest you go sit down with one :)

Peavey has never really been the "you're paying for the name" type - people usually buy the amp.

#12 ·
The JSX is a total gain beast, though. There's a TON of saturation on tap, way more than even Joe uses (and hell, he's back with Marshall these days anyway). Definitely spend some time with one, but if what you're looking for is a "good, all-around rock amp," and you're eying things like a Fender Twin, it might not be the right amp for you.

#14 ·
On topic, more directly, I've used a Fender Twin Reverb a bunch in the studio back in college, and the cleans are great, gain's only ok. That said, if you're going for a "rock" sound, it could work great, especially with an interesting distortion pedal. I played with a guy whose main tone came from an old Ibanez Tube King pedal (plus some Boss effects) through a Fender Bassman combo and it sounded great. Actually, here's a vid of him and it looks like he's still using the same gear (he's the guy with the Strat):

#25 ·
Some people have gotten good results out of the Spider Tube series, but I can't stand the ones I've tried at local stores. They're very compressed and stiff, and tend to be a bit icepicky/nasal for me.

#30 ·
If you like that, try the Deluxe, as well - it's smaller (I think it's a 1x12, but I'm not sure), lighter, and around 40 watts. I actually owned one for about a week, back in college, before exchanging it for a Marshall JTM30 - it was a great little combo, sounded awesome, was SERIOUSLY loud, and had a nice smooth rock/blues gain to it, even with singlecoils. I ended up returning it for something a little more aggressive, but realistically since eventually I ended up grabbing a Metal Zone to use with the Marshall, simply grabbing a distortion pedal might have been the way to go. And even then, it didn't NEED more gain, I just wanted something a little more hard rock. It won't do metal without an additional OD pedal, but if metal isn't really what you're after, well, it'll handle damned rear everything else pretty well.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with that line of Fenders (though, from what I've heard, you should try the Supersonic as well).

Re: the Line6 Spider Valve, pass. I tried one at a Daddy's a couple months back. I flipped it on, prepared to hate it, and fired up a clean tone, only to be totally blown away by how much better than I expected it to be. I messed around for 15 minutes, and was surprised just how much I was digging the clean sounds. Then, I flipped over to the first gain channel, some sort of a crunch, and spent the next five minutes being totally underwhelmed by every other sound the amp was capable of. I really had my hopes up after that clean channel, but...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.