Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Mesa V-Twin Pedal

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 ·
OK, I'm pretty much dying to get one, or at least try one out. There's two on eBay for $350 BIN and $275 w/ 5days. Are they worth that much? Should I wait?

I've heard they don't do metal, and don't sound like a recto. I'm perfectly OK with that, since my tone tends to border on the heavy-rock side anyways.

#2 ·
In front of a low gain tube amp, they sound amazing. Most of the guys I've seen with them use them in rock/blues bands, and step on them for leads. They drive an amp really, really hard.

#5 ·
Gotcha. I don't know what the Sovtek's vibe is, but you may also want to check out the Blackstar tube pedals:

Shop Guitar Effects, Guitar Effects Pedals, Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz & Boost | Blackstar | Musician's Friend

Every demo I've heard sounds amazing.

You may also consider the Tech 21 California pedal, but the annoying thing about that is that it has built-in speaker emulation that you can't remove. Not the best for the front end of an amp.

Personally, I think it's hard to get the Mesa sound out of a pedal (besides the pricey Mesa pedals), but it's easy to get, e.g., the Marshall sound in a pedal. So I'm a big fan of using a Mesa amp with pedals for non-Mesa tones.

#6 ·
I'm not terribly interested in nailing a Mesa amp tone with it, just looking for something to give some more cool sounds. And, Mesa is a company I trust for cool sounding shit :yesway:

#8 ·
Leon, those Blackstar pedals are fantastic. A modified version of one of those is the front end of the HT-5 amp.

#10 ·
I have a buddy who plays in a blues/rock bar band, and that is his rig. His Plexi is a 2x12, and man, does it slay with that V-Twin out front.

#12 ·
The price on those V-twins have skyrocketed in recent years. I sold my V-Twin rack a few years ago for $300, and thought that was a fair price. I seem to remember them going for much more than that nowadays.

Personally, I wouldn't pay over $200 for the pedal, but that's me.

The tone is quite smooth compared to a Recto, but the tone sure is Mesa through and through. To get into metal territory I used the boost with a Metal Zone; added an edginess that was missing. But for leads, I used to just plug straight in - super smooth tone. It didn't have a shit tone of gain though...

At the end of the day, I think the V-Twin is great for what it is, but as of now they're way overpriced.

#13 ·
The price on those V-twins have skyrocketed in recent years. I sold my V-Twin rack a few years ago for $300, and thought that was a fair price. I seem to remember them going for much more than that nowadays.

Personally, I wouldn't pay over $200 for the pedal, but that's me.

The tone is quite smooth compared to a Recto, but the tone sure is Mesa through and through. To get into metal territory I used the boost with a Metal Zone; added an edginess that was missing. But for leads, I used to just plug straight in - super smooth tone. It didn't have a shit tone of gain though...

At the end of the day, I think the V-Twin is great for what it is, but as of now they're way overpriced.
:yesway:

Once my Nomad sells, I'll put up some WTB ad's for $200, see if I get any hits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.