JC-120 questions

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: JC-120 questions

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

JC-120 questions

One of my bandmates is looking for a decently loud clean blues/jazz rig, and he loves the JC-120's chorus and reverb sounds. He's also a huge Police fan, so he's very much into the amp's recorded heritage.

He asked me whether to go for a head/cab or combo version... what do you guys recommend? From looking around, it appears that the JC-120 heads are lacking the 'dry' input, which I don't think he'd care about. Do they still allow you to to run a dual output stereo chorus rig like the one the combo offers?

Are there any functional differences between the head and the combo?

Is there anything he should look out for in these amps? Good eras/bad eras of manufacture, common fail points, differences in spec?

Finally, how much should you expect to pay? A local store has a minty used combo for $600, and eBay shows a range from $300 to $700 for used heads and combos. They're $900 new these days.

I know a few of you have JC-120 heads, so I figured here's as good a place to ask as any.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Ibanez Universe
    MA: Suzuki VC Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SB900
    Rig: Hughes und Kettner

The combo's got wheels, so you can roll it around. The head, you have to carry with your hands, like a sucker. There's a combo here at GC for $549, and I've never taken a good look at the heads, so I couldn't really tell you much about it's features in that regard. I guess the deciding factor is asking whether or not he has a cab that he likes. If he's got a 2x12 or a 4x12 that he's really happy with, the heads can be had cheaper used than the combos, but he'll have to haul the head and cab with him. If he's ambivalent about cabs, may as well get the combo, because it's more compact, and, has wheels... Your friend isn't a sucker, is he?
    When nothing less than second-best will do.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Combo's blow

But yeah, combo's are way bulkier. Interesting point about the chorusing, though, as I *think* the JC combo's have dual outs to get a true chorusing effect, and if your 2x12 or 4x12 isn't setup with dual inputs, you won't be able to utilize that feature.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

I know that the JC combos have two separate 60W amps, one per speaker. They also weigh in around 60-65 lbs. Does the head have two 60W amps as well?