Metal Guitarist Forums banner

JB/Jazz in basswood?

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 ·
Do any of you guys have experience with the JB/Jazz set in basswood? I have an old Jackson on the way that is basswood with maple neck and board. It has a JB/Jazz set in it. If it was alder I would probably just leave it as I like the JB in alder and mahogany. For basswood I can't imagine it would work too well and I am almost ready to buy a Tonezone/Air Norton set before it even arrives. I was just wondering if any of you guys have had good experiences with the JB/Jazz set in basswood before I spend the money on the Dimarzios. Thanks.

#6 ·
I had a Jazz in the neck of my last 7620 and it sounded pretty good, but the Air Norton I have in my current 7620 sounds a bit fuller to me. I like it better (and the Jaz is one of my favorite neck pups).

#8 ·
Well Music 123 had a 15% off sale going on so I said WTF and ordered the Dimarzios. I'm sure they will work better than the Duncans. I'm really not a Duncan guy anyway. Plus they were only like $120 shipped. Got them in an interesting color too :)

#10 ·
Just to add a little late, the JB is my favorite pickup in the whole wide world, and the one time I tried it in basswood it sounded pretty bad. All presence and no bass.

However, in mahogany or any darker wood, the JB is earthshatteringly amazing and the best pickup money can buy IMO.

#11 ·
You really gotta send a JB7 to Wolfe to rewind. He makes it sound like the classic ones that we grew up with. If you hate it, I'll buy it from you for what you paid for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.