Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Running a mac in fx loop

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gresh 
#1 ·
Weird question but I'm wondering if this is possible. I think it makes sense, but I'm not sure about all the impedences and signal strength issues.

So here's the idea: I looking into getting Logic Pro 9 for my macbook pro, which includes an awesome guitar section in Mainstage 2 with 25 amps and a huge array of effects, yadayada...

but I'm wondering if I can route my preamp signal from my Cornford through Mainstage 2 then back out to my fx return, essentially using Mainstage 2 in my laptop as an fx processor.

So my signal chain would likely look like this:
Guitar>EB Vol>Wah>BB preamp>Cornford Mk50H>FX send to Apogee ONE input>Mainstage 2 in Macbook>Apogee ONE output>Cornford FX return

I sort of landed here thinking how to consolidate purchases as I've been looking at multi fx units to run in my loop, most notably the G system or Nova System. But I've also been looking at Logic. I'm hoping I can kill two birds with one stone, plus gain the added flexibility of being able to play live with just my laptop as well (small stuff and church gigs) where taking the whole rig is just not going to happen. Adding a midi floor controller would give me control over all of it as well, plus all the looping capabilities.

Any got any input as to why this wouldn't be possible???

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a Firewire/USB interface like a MOTU, M-Audio, absolutely. Just out the loop, into the interface, out of the interface over firewire/usb to the mac, load up the interface as an input device in Logic for a track and then run the output of the mac through the interface and plug that into the in of your effects loop.

If you set it up right, you can run outs in Logic to certain outs of the device so you can have your drums go to another mixer/PA, and then whatever tracks for the effects go to the outs that go the the effects loop of your amp. Its all up to the capabilities of your interface.

I am not aware of a way to do it without an interface, but maybe someone knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.