The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority           Join us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! MG on YouTube MG on Google+ MG on Pinterest MG Soundcloud Group 
Register Gallery Merch Patches Forums Home
Guitar: Gear Discussion Guitar amplifiers, cabinets, effects processors, pedals and everything else.

A skeptic's review of the Axe-FX Ultra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #1

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage   Facebook

Lord Super Awesome

Member Number: 25
Home: West Seattle, WA
ME: PRS / Gibson
MA: Yamaha
MB: Jazz 6-string
Rig: EVH 5150iii 50w
7,660 Posts
Gallery: 5
Thanked 1,435 Times in 243 Posts
Default A skeptic's review of the Axe-FX Ultra

So yesterday, I finally went over to a friend's house for 3 hours or so to check out his Axe-FX. Iíve heard the hype, but without a 1st hand sampling w/ someone who really knows the processor, I was really skeptical to shell out $2K for this processor. I got my chance to see what people have been talking about. Of course, I have 3-4 friends that went to his house for the same purpose & they have all offloaded their rigs for an Axe-FX Ultra. And these are some of the biggest tube snobs I know!

Without a doubt, that is the most versatile, hifi system Iíve ever heard. It lives up to the hype!
Nothing, and I really mean, NOTHING compares to it. Even the stock presets are just amazing. I couldnít find a single amp model or effect that wasnít stellar. My taste test was the Axe-FX > Mesa 20/20 (a killer poweramp for this application) > 2 Madison 2x12 cabs.

Iíve never heard a system respond so well to pick attack, pup controls, volume knob & pedal manipulation. By using those subtle changes, it really was like getting a new preset within a preset. And dude Iím not kidding when I say it NAILS tones. I tried a stock early EVH setting & it was dead on. Then it had a Van Hagar setting for the 90s tone & it nailed that as well. That was just the tip of the iceberg, but every preset I tried that was suppose to emulate a song or artist did it perfectly. It actually sounded exactly like the recorded tone. Of course, I went through my friend's tones & they were insanely good. So much punch, but with a clarity that Iíve NEVER heard in an any amp or processor. You can also get synth tones too. I was able to produce a pretty convincing sax tone with it. And I loved the 16-step arpeggiator! Wanna play Museís ďMap of the problematiqueĒ w/out using a synth module? No problem. I suppose the ridiculous processing power in the Ultra has a lot to do with it. And yeah, I tried this patch called Uber Chugga & it is THE quintessential Meshuggah djenty ďmove mountainsĒ tone. Seriously, the air I pushed was insane, but even with such a heavy tone, there was absolutely no mud. As I said, the hifi clarity it exudes is unparallel to anything.

Think of the Axe-FX as every tube amp & effects worth having, but couple it with the highest fidelity of any guitar system out there. If youíre an audiophile & a guitarist, youíre ship has come in. To compare the Axe-FX to a Line 6 Vetta or X3 is like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari. Even though I am/was happy with my Digitech GSP1101, the Axe-FX just slays everything in its path. Couple all this with awesome customer support & continual firmware updates & you have a system that is PEERLESS! Thatís the only bad thing about the Axe-FX. Everything else will sound pale in comparison after you HEAR it. I know these all sound like bold statements, but itís the truth. Hearing is believing.

Now itís time to start offloading more gear so I can get my FINAL guitar rig.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #2

Send PM    Add to friends   

NICE BLACKMACHINE YO

Member Number: 76
Home: Edinburgh, Scotland
ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
Rig: Peavey 6505
7,636 Posts
Gallery: 0

Hahahahaha, I was in the process of writing the exact same thing as you. My band were recording over the weekend with an Axe-FX (results will be up at the end of the week) and I went in fairly sceptical with my 5150 on backup, but ohmyfuckinggod does it sound good. Perfectly mid range punch i look for - sounded magic with my RGA, but the thing I loved more than anything were the super percussive Q-Tuner like cleans. I'm in love. But far too poor to get one. But I get 'it' now!
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage   MySpace   Facebook

Is Actually Recording

Member Number: 4
Home: Somerville, Ma
ME: Suhr Modern 7
MA: Martin MC16-GTE
MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12
30,103 Posts
Thanked 1,695 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #4

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage   MySpace

I am Groot

Member Number: 21
Home: Woodbridge, VA
ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
MA: Martin D-28
Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto
31,778 Posts
Gallery: 1
Thanked 3,569 Times in 939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
Yeah, right...

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com

So live for today,
Tomorrow never comes.
Die young, die young,
Can't you see the writing in the air?
Die young, gonna die young,
Someone stopped the fair.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage   Facebook

Lord Super Awesome

Member Number: 25
Home: West Seattle, WA
ME: PRS / Gibson
MA: Yamaha
MB: Jazz 6-string
Rig: EVH 5150iii 50w
7,660 Posts
Thanked 1,435 Times in 243 Posts

Ok, time will tell on that last statement, but I know it's the next rig to get.
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #6

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

Something's Fishy

Member Number: 343
Home: Pennsyl-tucky
ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
MA: Wasburn D12 6
Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II
8,087 Posts

with my luck i would buy one and 2 weeks later they would release an improved version at a lower price point.
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #7

Member Number: 96
Home: Phx, AZ
ME: Custom Tele
MA: Guild GAD F150
MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
Rig: Jet City JCA-22H
2,972 Posts

Thats the awesome thing about the axe-fx is they release the firmware updates all the time so every unit is as up to date as possible.
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #8

Dream Crusher

Member Number: 99
Home: Manhattan
ME: Warmoth Warhead
MA: Blueridge BR-40
MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
Rig: Budda SD30
18,751 Posts
Gallery: 2
Thanked 1,312 Times in 321 Posts

The only thing(s) keeping me from dropping everything and picking one up:

1) Nothing cures GAS. Not even this. (You know in your heart it won't be your FINAL rig, Shannon )

2) I haven't spent too much time with one, and while it was fun to try JJ's, I'd have to go more in-depth before shelling out that kind of cash.

3) I'd probably spend more time tweaking than playing. I did it with PODs, I would likely do it even more with this.

Also, a local friend of mine who manages a music store bought one and couldn't stand it. Said it sounded 'fizzy' and 'cheap.' He was running it through a 2:90 and a pair of V30-loaded 2x12s.

Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
Too much faith leads to religion
Too much knowledge leads to confusion
Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion
Josh is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
axe-fx, fractal audio

Related Products Discussed In This Thread