Boss pitchshifter as subsititute for whammy pedal.

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Boss pitchshifter as subsititute for whammy pedal.

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Boss pitchshifter as subsititute for whammy pedal.

OK, I love the possibilities the whammy pedal has, and have quite a few techniques with mine that I've never really heard anyone else do, but there are a few things that really bug me about the pedal, namely that it takes up a lot of space on the pedalboard, and buggers up the tone when it's not in use.
    I've been looking at Boss' current pitchshifter, and it looks like it does a lot of the same stuff in a much smaller unit, and hopefully wouldn't suck as much tone as the whammy.
    Does anyone actually have any experience with the Boss, and how it compares to the whammy?

EDIT: Just so there's no confusion about which Boss unit I'm talking about, here's the video demo...
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

ME: Ibanez M80M
    MA: ukulele
    MB: Ibanez Terra Firma BTB686
    Rig: Custom Built PC

I love Boss' delays and reverbs, even choruses and phasers as well... they all have great vibe to them, but I could never get on with their distortions or their pitch shifts (the octave pedal, particularly in the -1 oct. position is fairly decent, though, TBH). I dunno what it is, something broken up and brittle in the artifacts.

Really, you can't beat a DigiTech Whammy out front, and an Eventide in the loop so far as these things go. That's what I'm running right now. Not sure it will change any time soon.