Amps Suggestions?!!!!!

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amps Suggestions?!!!!!

ME: Stat & SG
    Rig: Orange Rockverb 50

Amps Suggestions?!!!!!

OK...has much has i love my current's not gonna work for my next project. I would need a head...30w to 100w. i'm more of an el34 guy, but i'm not closing any doors. needs.

I tried an amp this afternoon at my friend's shop..a KRANK KRANKENSTEIN..i was pretty impressed with it. what i liked is it has a clean..and a pretty good one i may had, and a distortion channel..BUT..the Distortion Channel has a second master volume controlable via the footswitch that act has a boost, exactly what i'm looking for basicaly. but they are has rare has Pope's dung these maybe there is another amp that i'm not aware off with similar settings.

I need a quite some gain cause we will go from clean tone to pure bang your head metal power... I don't wanna use an OD with this set-up, that's for sure.

What i know i don't like...things like JCM 2000 series..makes my puke..LOL..i bought one in 2000..and returned it withing 2 days. Fender amps i know wont cut it.

SO...any suggestions?...i'll most likely try to hunt something down in the used market naturally. price clue yet..

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

I've never needed to use an OD with any of the Engl's I've played. Maybe look for a used Powerball.

ME: Ibanez RocketRoll II
    Rig: Mesa Triple

The Peavey Valve King is a good choice if you don't have a lot of bread. Can't go wrong with a used 5150 for basic metal, but I think I'd prefer the clean channel on the VK. 5150 "clean" is a little rough.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

6505+ cleans are actually decent, as I have used one a couple times in the last few days we were quite impressed.
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD):

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

If you like that "dual master volume" feature, a lot of Mesa amps have a Solo volume, which will do the same thing. So will the Framus Cobra. You can also run a graphic EQ pedal or clean boost in the effects loop of an amp to get a similar effect; I do this with my Budda.

What is your budget?

Amps I can think of off of the top of my head with dual volumes and plenty of tightness and gain:
    -Framus Cobra (EL34s)
    -Stilettos (Series II) (EL34s)

3+-channel amps that will do clean, crunch, lead (thus you can set one channel louder than the others)
    -Marshall JVM410H (EL34s)
    -Mesa Mark V
    -DAR Forza Quattro
    -Blackstar Series One 200
    -EVH 5150 III

I don't know much about Engl or VHT amps, but they'll definitely have a few multi-channel heads out there.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

alain here thinks mesa's are all muddy

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

If you are an EL-34 guy, and you have the cash, go buy a Mesa Stiletto II and be done with it. I was NOT an EL-34 guy, and the amp converted me. It has a very bright, aggressive edge, even when completely saturated, and the midrange is gloriously crunchy and complex. The cleans are great, too: the glassy, falling off the edge into breakup Marshall clean is there, but it can be pristine, too. If you run the gain channel in Fluid Drive mode, a boost actually hurts the sound. I run my gain around 12:30, and I'm making as much gain as I was with a Recto on 1:00 with a boost. Run it with a one step impedance mismatch to really thicken up the overall sound, and make the amp a little less stiff to play against (I run the 4ohm tap to my 8ohm cabinet). It's a tip I picked up from reading the manual.

If you don't have a lot of cash, go get an Egnater Tourmaster. It is ridiculous how good that amp sounds for the price, and you can get a veritable Swiss Army knife of cool tones out of it. I just never cared as much for the classic EL-34 mid honk (which this amp has), but I was always more of a 6L6 guy, and the Stiletto is sort of in between the two.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Electra X260 Invicta
    MB: Ibanez SR405
    Rig: SVT 6 Pro->M1400i->HLF410

Here's a suggestion no one else will give: If you see a used Genz Benz El Diablo, at least try it out. I traded my last 5150 for one. While the 5150 was great, it lacked the upper midrange that I favor. It came with EL34's and to me it was very similar to a 5150 but with the missing upper mids and an active EQ. (People call it a mesa killer, but I don't hear it...)