So I modded my lead channel on my 6505+ back to original 5150 lead channel specs, I originally ran into a hurdle because I blew a preamp tube and was getting no sound, so instead of swapping out the one preamp tube I swapped all of them out (more on that later). So now the amp works, but when it's turned up it sounds like it's all mushy and fizzy, almost like there is too much low end being pushed into the front end of something like that. I know it's not the cab/speakers, as I ran it through my 2x12 combo and those speakers did the same thing. So I'm trying to narrow down what could be the cause of this, and I havent done much troubleshooting but i'm curious if you guys might have a clue why this is happening...
1. preamp tubes, i'm gonna try putting other preamp tubes in and see if that makes a difference
2. power tubes, i'm gonna try putting in different power amp tubes
3. different tube screamer, i'm using a ts7ovchaos right now but i might try something that cuts more low end
4. different guitar, see if it might be the guitar/pickups causing the problem.
5. could be I just messed up the mod somehow, though I doubt it
Did you send it to fja? If not, who did the mod? The original 5150/6505 is a little fizzier though.