Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Looking for decent/cheap low-power power amp for monitors

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Soopahmahn 
#1 ·
I have a pair of Event 20/20 unpowered monitors given to me by a friend I worked for a while ago. They're currently sitting in my apartment with nothing to drive them.

What would you guys suggest for a low-cost power amp or receiver for them? I'm not looking for super studio quality (it's likely these will just be my stereo speakers, and I might add a subwoofer in the future) but I'd love to be able to use them since right now all I've got is an iHome alarm clock and my MBP speakers.

#6 ·
That's a possibility. Those Events have a recommended 150W program, so that works pretty well with 100W/channel at 4 ohms.

A little more than I can comfortably swing right now, but it's an option.

#8 ·
Yeah, you should be able to find a used Harman/Kardon, NAD, Cambridge, Arcam, hell even old Yamaha, Sony, Technics, etc. that'll sound really decent. NAD especially is excellent for low-wattage, high current, very clean, very simple, surprisingly affordable integrated amps. Low-priced pro amps tend to sound a little harsh and aggressive, which will be even worse through monitors like those.

#13 ·
I would avoid Yamaha as they purposefully roll off the high end for "smoothness". Trust me, I've had them open on benches with oscilloscopes. Adcom is another decent name, though not as good as Rotel/NAD.

I would also avoid PA equipment, e.g. Carvin, Crown, QSC... they're not meant for transparent audio reproduction, they're designed to make shit loud and take a lot of abuse.

Some examples of gear on the Bay right now that I've personally owned and will recommend:
20w RMS stereo: http://cgi.ebay.com/NAD-7220PE-AM-F...73771?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item3cb04e858b

55w RMS stereo: http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-DRA-435R-...70077?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item415274f1fd

#14 ·
I've personally cleaned/repaired at least two of those NAD 7220s, and many others of similar age. They're beautiful amps, sound great, and all I ever had to do with them was clean the controls and contacts, maybe replace a fuse. In fact, a buddy of mine was using an old 3020 to power his Tannoy monitors in his studio, sounded beautiful.

If anything, the NADs, especially older ones, might be slightly warm and soft (very neutral frequency response, nothing hyped, just maybe not as quick and punchy as some other amps), but I've always preferred a slightly softer sound in my monitoring, as it makes me naturally mix more punchy and dynamic (that's why I prefer my AKGs to the also excellent sounding Sennheisers).

#15 ·
If anything, the NADs, especially older ones, might be slightly warm and soft (very neutral frequency response, nothing hyped, just maybe not as quick and punchy as some other amps), but I've always preferred a slightly softer sound in my monitoring, as it makes me naturally mix more punchy and dynamic (that's why I prefer my AKGs to the also excellent sounding Sennheisers).
Good observation, in line with my experience. A little extra capacitance on the power section stiffens them up a bit, and they remain musical. :yesway: And a steal if you can nail one for a hundred bucks. :lol:

#17 ·
So which, uhm, NADs should I be looking for? I'd prefer just an amp, no need for a tuner or cassette deck.

#19 ·
You said you wanted to add a subwoofer sometime in the future so get one with a sub or pre out and you should be fine for any kind of sub if not you will have to get a sub with speaker level inputs (the speaker cable goes to and from the sub) which is undesirable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.