Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Im NOT stuck, anyone think of a better amp?

Tags
amp stuck
4K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Richard 
#1 ·
Hey guys, ive read the warnings so im not going to ASK what amp to get

basically ive got a peavey XXX head and cab at the moment, ive been fairly happy with if for the few years i have had it, but now looking to upgrade.

Been thinking and researching for a little while now and think i have made my decision

Im getting a rack amp, so for the pre amp im going to get a mesa boogie Triaxis, hopefully a 2.1 with phat mod but from what i have read the mod isn't essential.

For my power amp im most likeley getting the mesa 2 90. Im going to be looking to buy them used, which makes a considerable difference in price lol

I play metal as you may have guessed and enjoy the sound of a very powerful system and the 'woomf' factor.

thought id share as im new here.

Any ideas guys?

#3 ·
Just one cautionary note - not only is the XXX absurdly high gain and the Triaxis won't get quite as saturated, but the response between the two amps couldn't be any more different. I guess it has a lot to do with dampening, but I don't understand amplifier design nearly enough to explain how... Basically, the XXX is very compressed and forward, while the Triaxis is MUCH more touch-sensitive and open. If you're used to that fairly stiff, forgiving feel (and the worlds of gain) with the XXX, you're going to switch to the Triaxis and immediately feel sloppy.

Mesas and Peaveys are on completely different ends of the playing spectrim - the former really rewards a heavier touch and not oversaturating the amp, while the later is more of a light touch, preamp gain amp. Expect some adjustment time before you feel at home.

#5 ·
Having at one point moved from a XXX to a Dual Rec, I completely concur with Drew's analysis.

#20 ·
I've only briefly played one, but my initial impression was barring the fact they were black and had metal faceplates, I couldn't think of two more different amps. :lol:

I was getting into the gain territory I liked on a XXX with the gain at 2, maybe 2 1/2. On a Mesa, that zone is in the 5-6 range for me. Even then, it was much more compressed and "felt" more saturated than it sounded, and was almost stupidly forgiving. Not a bad thing, perhaps, but I like how you can work a Recto a bit with your pick attack while soloing, and it was much harder to get nuances out of the XXX like that.

My impression, if this makes any sense, was that the XXX sounded kind of "airbrushed."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.