Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Black Raven (Pick Content)

6K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  zepp 
#1 ·
These rule.

Steve Clayton USA - Grip Guitar Picks

Just got some today. How interesting, Clayton makes picks based on my 2 favorite animals - wolves and ravens - and they are great. Tried these new Black raven picks, and love them. Very bright, almost like a metal pick in attack and tonality, without any of the overly bright attack-y tones of metal picks. Like the best of plastic composites (70% tone) and metal (30% tone). There is just this great bell-like chime that comes when you play clean; and distorted has an improved clarity.

Plus, large, with a tip halfway between the pointedness of a Jazz III, and the roundness of a traditional pick. They also are not slippery at all, which is great for ol' sweaty hands me.

:yesway:

#2 ·
#7 ·
Acetals here. I absolutely love the rounded edges, they just glide over the strings. Clayton's finishing work stomps the shit out of Dunlop.

#8 ·
I tried some of their Uratex (or whatever it is they call their version of Ultex) picks and wasn't terribly impressed. I'm currently using Dunlop Ultex Sharps and loving them, but what you're describing in the Black Raven sounds like something I'd really like. I might have to try a few.

#9 ·
I've actually been using these:

Steve Clayton USA - Spike Guitar Picks

The jazz sized ones. Ultex, and the sharpest tip I've ever found in a pick. I really do think my picking's much more accurate for it. I only have one pack of 12 so far, so I've mostly been practicing and jamming with Jazz IIIs and pulling these out to record.

#17 ·
So which size are you using Boober? I just picked up some Ultex sharps on a whim but I've gotten used to the Cool Picks Phat Cat that dpm turned me on to. Standard picks feel big now I might have to give these a whirl.

#21 ·
Desecrated (yes, that guy :p) sent me a bunch of picks a year to two ago with his logo on them that look very similar to the Black Ravens. I LOVE the picks he sent, they're just perfect, and I wonder if they are Claytons.

I can't wait to compare them :)

#25 ·
They are just really comfortable, and they sound very very good. There definitely is this metallic quality to them, but it varies depending on how you pick. The finishing work is highly impressive too. :yesway:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.