Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Feeding Drew's Roadster gas

7K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  Joel 
#1 ·
#5 ·
They have had them for awhile, same as the stiletto cabinets with silght cosmetic changes. They are only offering it in the 1x12 and 2x12 format. Weird part is they are the same dimensions, however the roadster cab weights two pounds more? I am thinking a mis print, but if you do a side by side maybe the wood is a little thicker on the roadster, or that could just be an optical illusion.

Roadster cabs
MESA Engineering 2 x 12 Roadster Horizontal Guitar Cabinet

Stiletto cabs.
MESA Engineering 2 x 12 Stiletto Guitar Cabinet, Horizontal

#4 ·
I want to do it, Dave, and eventually I will own a Roadster. However, the problem is I don't have $1800 in cash collecting dust right now, so if I want to buy a Roadster I have to sell my Nomad and Rectoverb. I'm ok doing that, but when I listed the Nomad, it didn't even get a bite. The market sucks these days - no one has cash, so everyone's trying to sell and there are very few buyers. Seeing as I don't need the cash urgently for anything, I think I'm just going to give it six months to a year for things to improve, and then sell the two then for a Roadster.

EDIT - and that sounds REALLY promising, I'll probably have the local Mesa repair shop do that when I buy one. :yesway:

#9 ·
Hey, I could finally bitch about your amp being too big and complicated for a change. :fawk:

#13 ·
This is exciting news too.. I fucking loved my Stiletto. I don't know how many times I said I wish it had a Recto channel on it too. If I could have all of those sounds at my disposal... jesus christ. This is a bad feeling :lol:
I'm stilling waiting on the mod to turn ch3 into a Mark IV. Then my life will be complete.

#17 ·
I'm hoping that there actually is a Mark V at Winter NAMM. Last I heard, that Mark V Advertisement that people were calling proof is a very old picture, and a very old ad, dating back to before the Mark IV was ever discontinued

I pretty much picture the Mark IV as Mesa's version of the Invader... awesome cleans, mid-heavy 2nd channel, skin-flaying third channel, awesome lead channel. Except with the Mesa character instead of the german one.

#20 ·
Petrucci's been seen with something Mark-looking that isn't a IV or a II for a while now. :shrug:

If there WAS a mod to change 3 into a Mark IV lead sound, though, I'd give a rat's ass about the Mark-V because the Roadster would be perfect. :lol:

#23 ·
In regards to the MKV, i met the dude at work who transcribes all of DT's music, and he apparently has played it, and says like the rumors, pretty much a simplified mark IV that looks like an express. Same circuitry with some of the gadgets removed. Apparently JP isnt quite satisfied with it yet though.

Still want roadletto

#26 ·
In regards to the MKV, i met the dude at work who transcribes all of DT's music, and he apparently has played it, and says like the rumors, pretty much a simplified mark IV that looks like an express. Same circuitry with some of the gadgets removed. Apparently JP isnt quite satisfied with it yet though.

Still want roadletto
Yeah the Mark V is taking a while to get here.

#29 ·
Early reports for the MK V are saying 3 completely independent channels, graphic EQ, a contour control for the channels, switchable voicings, and progressive linkage. At least, those were things on various prototypes. All or none could make it onto a production model.

#34 ·
From how the dude explained it to me, there are a few special mode settings on the Mark IV's that everyone uses (i really have minimal experience with Marks. ive played a few at work but ive not read up on em), and apparently, they sortof cut down on the excessive crap and limited it to a few of the more useful features. Very much an Express type of interface, with a dumbed down Mark IV tone (with a few tweaks).

#37 ·
Hey, if they simply cloned the "lead" channel in place of Rhythm 2, I'd be a happy man. Though, I never really got on with the rhythm sounds from that amp - the "contour" might help, but it seemed to me more like a poweramp thing than a preamp, it doesn't have nearly the low end clarity of a Rectifier, and if you're playing a 7, things get a little mushy. :shrug:

#38 ·
Oh, no doubt. I'm with you there. Onmy old Mark IV's, I played around with the "Crunch" channel, thought..."Hmm, that's pretty cool"...and then never used it again... :D I always wanted another lead type channel in it's place.

Low end clarity of the Recto? Hmm...I'd say the Marks are a much tighter amp by nature. Boosting the front end helps for sure, but the Marks always seemed a lot more focused to me. One guy was claiming that he was told the voicing options would be like selecting prior Mark models, but I've never heard that anywhere else, so I'd just write it off.

#39 ·
One guy was claiming that he was told the voicing options would be like selecting prior Mark models, but I've never heard that anywhere else, so I'd just write it off.
that sounds like a TriAxis head :lol:

i think i'm with everyone on the Roadster/Stiletto/MK thing. and, given that Mesa HAS to know that that's the kind of thing people want, i'm sure they're working on it.

#40 ·
happy thread resurrection.

i ordered the three pots needed to do this minor mod and dropped it off at the tech shop yesterday. Should have it back in a week.

maybe just in time for next week's Division rehearsal - we can test the mod there, against Dave's Stiletto, and test the hype of the mod.

Cost in parts straight from mesa - 6 bucks plus shipping. Cost to me - zero :D

Cost of the mod - labor (pro tech in silver spring md is $85 / hour).

hopefully, this job costs me 1 hour. it seems pretty easy to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.