What bag\pedalboard solution to get?!

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bag\pedalboard solution to get?!

What bag\pedalboard solution to get?!

I wanted to sonsult with you guys about an all in one solution pedal board with bag
    for my upcoming nova system which I'll use along with my bogner uberschall twin jet,
    decimator pedal and maxon overdrive.

So basiclly it doesnt need to be a big pedal board, it'll have only these 3 units+ the bogner 2 button footswitch, the question is which pedalboard to get? I'd like to get one preferably with power supply too.

I looked into the gator stuff but I'm not sure how good is their power supply unit and their medium sized board is relatively small.

What would you get?

ME: Gibson SG
    MB: Spector Euro
    Rig: Ampeg V4B

If you don't have to have a power supply built in, Rondo has a couple cases that are designed to be used for pedal boards. A few people I've know have gotten them and they are decent units for the price. You will end up paying out the ass for something that has a power supply built in. It would probably be easier to buy either a pedal power 2+ or a One-Spot and add them to your case of choice.

ME: RG1527
    MA: Eastman AC-420
    Rig: Mesa Stiletto Ace

For the longest time, I had built a couple myself and been nothing but completely satisfied with it. That, coupled with a Onespot adapter is a really good way to get *exactly* what you want, though with a bit of labor involved.

The Furman pedalboards are really nice (though expensive.) I use one now (it's a bit more portable since it's got it's own bag) and have had no issues with it at all. Definitely a good choice if you're looking to spend some coin.
    "Sometimes you have to confront your own patterns and expectations of yourself and do away with things that you enjoy doing in order to move forward and keep evolving as a musician. That's exactly the definition of the word progressive of course." Steven Wilson

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Pedaltrain is my choice, even though I don't own one anymore. Light, durable, can come in either a case or a bag, lots of size options, and plenty of space to rout cabling and wiring underneath.

The Pedaltrain Junior (or maybe even the teeny Nano) with a One-Spot adapter should be plenty.

EDIT: wait, I didn't see the Nova System controller. Hmm. Well, you can still snag an appropriately-sized Pedaltrain, and if you know the dimensions of the controller and amp footswitch, you can plan out placement here: http://pedalboardplanner.com/
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

+1 @ Rondo's cases. Kevan snagged one for a pedal project, and it somehow lived up to his engineering standards

ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
    Rig: Peavey 6505

The Rondo stuff is actually pretty good, I've got their large pink case just now. I use a One-Spot for ultimate flexibility (my pedal setup changes depending on the gig). Only criticism is that the velcro is a bit shit, so I use both types of sticky velcro and it's covered. However, it's been dropped, trapped in train doors and fallen out a slow-moving van and still works fine.

If you don't need bombproofness then they're great - cheap too, you can buy four or five for the price of a good trailer trash/pedaltrain setup. If you do need the absolute solidity and peace of mind though, get something higher end.
    "W yn shn y zhī, shn y xng.
    Tiān xi m nng zhī, m nng xng." - Lao Tse

http://www.facebook.com/thecolourpinkisgay - my band.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Here's what i've done a couple of times:

1) Measure your stuff and draw it to scale in an app like Adobe Illustrator or Google SketchUp.

Or just lay it out on the floor how you want it and measure the outer dimensions. Make sure you include space for one of these (or something similar):

2) Find a keyboard or mixer case/bag that's about the same dimensions, or slightly bigger. Refine your pedalboard layout/design if necessary. You want it to fit snugly in the bag.

3) Get a piece of plywood and cut it to fit in the bag. Sand and finish it. (I like spray-on truck bed liner.) Attach a couple of handles to the back edge to protect the cables from being kicked, and/or the sides for lifting. I prefer ones like this:

4) Attach some rubber feet.

5) Optionally trim it out in aluminum U-channel. Not entirely necessary, but it makes it look nice and protects the edges of the plywood from impacts.

6) Either use industrial-strength Velcro to fasten everything down, or drill holes and use zip ties. I prefer zip ties because i hate Velcro for holding stuff down.

7) Wire it all up!