Re-cabling my rig. Connector and cable suggestions?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Re-cabling my rig. Connector and cable suggestions?

ME: Ibanez RGT42DX
    Rig: 5150 III 50w -> G-System

Re-cabling my rig. Connector and cable suggestions?

Like the title says, I'm re-cabling my entire deal. I need good connectors, and some decent cable. This is gonna be a fixed install, and won't change unless I get some drastically new gear or something.

This is probably gonna cause some debate, but I need some suggestions for good connectors, and cable to pick up. I have a local place that can probably get me what I want, but there were a few things i was thinking about getting as well.

What does everyone think about the horrendously expensive planet waves solderless connectors? I have a few from a buy i did a while ago, and they have held up really well over the last 6 months or so, with no sign of ever failing. That said, they're also like $10 each, and the cable kits come with a ridiculous number of right angle plugs, and as it turns out, I only need a couple right angle connectors for this job. The fact that they just screw the cable in makes things easy if I ever have to change anything. Rather than de-soldering, cutting, re- stripping, re-soldering, blah blah blah.

SO! Hit me with suggestions. inb4 google. I've been looking at this for hours already. I just want some advice on products that people have actually used, not website based "i's da best" bullshit.
    Dances With Cables.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

I've played with the Planet Waves solderless connectors, we had a sales rep try to get us to carry them at the store I worked at (we were a hi-fi store, though, and did very little pro audio, so it wasn't much use to us). But I did everything I could think of to try to make them fail, even intermittently, and couldn't

That said, I'm a whore for Neutrik connectors. I just love them, don't know why

I've heard excellent stuff about Georg L's as well.

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

Neutrik connectors and canare cable

ME: Ibanez RGT42DX
    Rig: 5150 III 50w -> G-System

Neutrik connectors look nice, and the price is MUCH better than $10 each. Unfortuantely, the only place around here that sells bulk cable has THE absolute worst website in history. it might as well not even be there. That being said, the do sell Mogami and Canare cable. those two seem to be names that come up over and over when people talk about making cables.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

I buy my Neutrik connectors and Mogami or Canare cable from Redco Audio - Redco Audio Home Page

That said, cabling a rig with George L's is a lot less of a headache, especially if you hate to solder, like me.

ME: Schecter C8 ATX
    MA: Epiphone Masterbilt
    Rig: AxeFxUltra-2:90-Mesa4X12

I used George L's in my last rack with a Triaxis,2:90, and an Effects Processor. I loved them. They worked flawlessly and sounded absolutely awesome. Being able to make custom lengths makes a real difference in my opinion. I think everything will sound great as long as you use quality connectors and cable. I also have a planet waves cable that I have been using for ever and I love that one as well.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

+1 @ George L's.

ME: Strictly 7 Anaconda
    Rig: Axe Fx-> 2:90-> Mesa cab

This thread is very relevant to my interests, as I'm considering re-cabling my rig as well.