The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority           Join us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! MG on YouTube MG on Google+ MG on Pinterest MG Soundcloud Group 
Register Gallery Merch Patches Forums Home
Guitar: Gear Discussion Guitar amplifiers, cabinets, effects processors, pedals and everything else.

alternative to axe-fx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage   MySpace   Facebook

HOLY DIVE-AH!

Member Number: 126
Home: central ct
ME: C1's & RG's
MA: ovation knockoff
Rig: 6505+, hd500, pv4x12
1,888 Posts
Gallery: 0
Default alternative to axe-fx

I need a new amp. my current set up is a pod v2 and a solid state carvin 2x12 with open back and British speakers. I can't get any tone i want out of it at all. It's just too wimpy and would be better suited for blues/lighter rock.

I went to guitar center today and played just about every amp and was completely disappointed with everything i played.
6505+, duals/triples/roadsters that were out of my budget, line6 combos and heads, and even a bunch of solid state stuff like ibanez, randall, raven, berringer, etc and nothing did it for me at all. Not even close. I was ready to drop 1000 on a head and cheap out on the cab for the time being (they had a 1960a that was beat up for 200 bucks) and I couldn't bring myself to buy anything.

After hearing all the demos on youtube, I think my plan now is to ditch the amp and go for the axe-fx. But, i am no where near being able to afford $2300 for the unit + power amp + cab (as i only have a combo) at this time. It's basically 3x my budget (around 1200 bucks)

Is there something 'ALMOST' as good on the market for a more competitive price?

I really don't care about cleans or crunch or even crazy effects. I don't need 10000 presets or to sound just like the album. I just need/want serious gain that doesn't suck. I'm more interested in compressors and gates than anything relating to a chorus or reverb. Tight chug is the ultimate goal.

It's hard to demo this stuff. No one around here seems to even carry much rack gear, let alone have it out of the box and ready to plug in.

I would love to find something in the 400 ish range, score a mesa cab on CL (there's one up there now for 525) and pick up a rack case/cabling with the renaming couple hundred.

Then i still need to score a power amp and a foot switch of some kind as well..... so i'm still over budget, but way more ball park. So, a $200 unit would be even better. lol Probably non-existent.

Anyway, appreciate any leads on things to look at.

just passing through....

Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #2

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

Member Number: 1
Home: Boston, MA
ME: Suhr / Carvin
MA: Martin DC-1E
MB: Warwick Corvette
Rig: Axe-Fx II XL
37,103 Posts
Gallery: 237
Thanked 11,500 Times in 2,652 Posts

You should be able to run the AFX 4CM through the Carvin (edit: if it has a loop), and essentially use that power amp section and nothing else.

If the AFX is your end goal, you might want to try the Pod HD - a lot of the initial reviews put it pretty close with the AFX in terms of value. The AFX is a lot nicer, but the HD is $500, and (from what I hear) sounds a lot better than any of the recent Pods.

Speaking for the Roadster, you really need to get into it and spend a good amount of time with amps like that to find your sound with them. That's hard to do in a music store.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #3

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

37,103 Posts

Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #4

Send PM    Add to friends   

Bro of Bros, Bro.

Member Number: 106
Home: Jacksonville, FL
11,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If the AFX is your end goal, you might want to try the Pod HD - a lot of the initial reviews put it pretty close with the AFX in terms of value. The AFX is a lot nicer, but the HD is $500, and (from what I hear) sounds a lot better than any of the recent Pods.
Pretty much what I was going to say... It seems that the POD HD has come pretty close to being a decent competitor for the price point with the Axe-FX.
jaxadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #5

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

37,103 Posts

You can also disable the preamp models on the fly with the HDs, which is pretty handy.

The AFX is a fucking phenomenal unit, no doubt, but it's a lot to drop on something that you haven't heard/played with. It sounds like you might just not like modeling, but again if you didn't like the 6505/Roadster, that's a tough call.

For $500, the HD will get close enough to a variety of tones to perhaps help you figure out what it is you want to try as the "final" amp. My AFX, for example, totally makes me wish I had a powerball for a second amp, but not enough to ditch my Roadster.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #6

Tom
El Kabong

Member Number: 62
Home: Texas
ME: KxK Sii-7
MA: Martin OMC-1E
MB: Dingwall Combustion
Rig: Line 6
5,447 Posts

$1200 isn't far from $1500, which would get you an Axe-FX Standard you could run through the power section of what you've got now. Aside from that, a POD or a GSP 1101 are decent alternatives.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #7

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

37,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
$1200 isn't far from $1500, which would get you an Axe-FX Standard you could run through the power section of what you've got now. Aside from that, a POD or a GSP 1101 are decent alternatives.
Obviously just my opinion, but the modeling in the 1101 is fucking awful.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #8

Tom
El Kabong

Member Number: 62
Home: Texas
ME: KxK Sii-7
MA: Martin OMC-1E
MB: Dingwall Combustion
Rig: Line 6
5,447 Posts

Is it that bad? Unfortunate. For a while, everyone was touting it as the next best thing.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, axefx

Related Products Discussed In This Thread