Roadking II vs Mark V

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadking II vs Mark V

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: Mesa Roadking II

Roadking II vs Mark V

Well, looking at them, and in the market, so, anyone compared the two? ANy tips? Going to be trying them out some point in the next week or two, but would like to hear people's opinions first

ME: Ibanez RGT42DX
    Rig: 5150 III 50w -> G-System

Well, as with any amp, it's a matter of taste. I know a couple guys around here have roadsters, but I'm not sure about the roadking. Thine Eyes Bleed has at least one for live use, and it sounded pretty damn good when I saw them. Pretty sure John Petrucci used one for a little bit back in the day, but he went back to the Mark IV after that CD.

As for the Mark V, I've played one a while ago and low volume and it was pretty sweet. Clean tones are straight out of the lonestar, and the 3rd channel a has some nice replications of the old IIC+ and MkIV tones, as well as the "extreme" which can get pretty hairy, but they're all very controllable even with near maxed out gain. The basic focused Mark style tone. Really tight articulate, but I found it a tad noisy. Maybe that was just the environment and sub par guitar I was using at the time. The reverb added a LOT of noise to the mix though, which I didn't particularly appreciate, though I don't really like spring reverb.

Channel 2 is what killed the Mark V for me. I was playing it unboosted, so that could have been part of the problem but there's just SOOOOOOO much low end. It's just THICK. I had the bass off and still found it too bassy for a lead tone. I'm sure with more than 20 mins I could have gotten something out of it, but a 3 channel amp with the variety of tones available, and not being able to use one of the channels (the way I wanted) was what ultimately drove me to not buy it.

I'd love to go try another one again with my OD pedal in hand and really try to tweak the shit out of channel 2 to see if i can't get some good lead tones. This little review might be a tad unfair to channel 2, and I'm sure a lot of people love the shit out of it. Just not my "cuppa" I guess. That said, channel 1 and 3 are fucking PHENOMENAL. especially channel 1. I honestly found it hard to dial in a setting I DIDN'T like.

So take that with a grain of salt as always, and go try it out for yourself. I just didn't get along with channel 2 all that well. Other than that, it great.
    Dances With Cables.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Road King all the way. Especially for what you're doing. I think the Mark V is a great two channel amp, since channel two is practically useless. Meanwhile, you can get damn near any sound out of a Road King. The only reason I sold mine is I got tired of getting to a gig and having to figure out what switch flipped, since the thing has more controls than the international space station.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Cool, i've been thinking the rectifiers are more my thing, in any case it looks like i'll be getting both possibly to play around with on the US leg if it all goes to plan which should be cool

My bank balance is not going to be happy though :s

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Are you keeping the VHT?
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD):

ME: Ibanez Universe
    MA: Suzuki VC Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SB900
    Rig: Hughes und Kettner

Why not just try to borrow amps from friends when you get stateside? or trade your UV777GR for one.
    When nothing less than second-best will do.

loan stock amps.

am keeping the vht, that's going nowhere!

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

You can play my TriAxis+MosValve if you're in the Detroit / Cleveland / Columbus / Cincinnati area