Metal Guitarist Forums banner

road king 2 or invader 100

6K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Daniel 
#1 ·
You probably saw my other diezel and engl thread. I'm not sure if i can swing the cash for a diezel yet, but the engl invader 100 is doable. however, the same guy also has a mesa road king 2 for a great price. so, of those two, which would you choose and why? I'm curious about rk2 because i hear they arent as fizzy the standard rectos.

#2 ·
Is this thread really necessary on a site full of Mesa fan boys? :lol:

I'll be stunned if anyone actually tells you to get the ENGL over the Mesa.

#7 ·
I've played both. I liked the overdrive on the Invader more. It handles everything from a hard rock to a death metal sound nicely. If you're shooting for versatility, you might enjoy the Road King more. The different tube configs lend to a better clean channel imo. The gain is definitely a lot looser than what I like for my style of playing. But it will handle your polka cleans well. :wub:

#9 ·
Go for the ENGL.

The RK is a little less fizzy than the regular recto, but it's not night and day different. I don't think (?) you really cared for the basic recto sound, and that's more or less what you get with the RK. I love mine, but I really love the recto sound.

#11 ·
I do like the recto sound, bit there's just something about it that doesn't appeal to me for "my sound." My understanding was that the rk2 was more refined with less fizz and uber versatility. I want to stay open to the possibilities of high end tube amps before i revert back to my comfort zone of processors.

And yeah, i know i could go back to the axefx, but i do want to give tube amps an honest shot.

#13 ·
I do like the recto sound, bit there's just something about it that doesn't appeal to me for "my sound." My understanding was that the rk2 was more refined with less fizz and uber versatility. I want to stay open to the possibilities of high end tube amps before i revert back to my comfort zone of processors.

And yeah, i know i could go back to the axefx, but i do want to give tube amps an honest shot.
Fair enough. :yesway:

It's just that for your setup, and the fact that you play in a bunch of different bands/different styles, I don't think there's one amp out there that will do everything you want well.

#15 ·
I have to agree with these guys.
I love rectos, so a RK or a Roadster is an easy sell to me.
I got a chance to play thru a new Invader at the Axe-Palace a while back and
I really liked it , Great varying degrees of "drive/gain"
the cleans were OK (I didn't spend a lot of time trying to dial in a clean)
the thing is , people will say the RK still sounds like a recto.
Well the Invader still sounds like an Engl, so if you like the Engl sound it's a no brainer.
Are there Engl models in the Ultra?

#19 ·
My TriAxis rig is pretty versatile. Imagine your Coreblade with 8 modes, instead of 4, and with all the midi-capabilities. That with my midi FX unit and midi power amp, I've got my bases covered.

:2c:

#20 ·
Myself, I'd take a look at the patches you're using in your AxeFX and make an honest assessment of the kind of sounds you're going to need if you want to replace it.

Some dude's that I've talked to use the same amp model 90% of the time. If you're one of those dudes then moving back into the realm of tube amps probably won't be that painful and your choice of model should give you a suggestion as to what way to go.

#34 ·
Dude, trust me on this; the Engl Invader is extremely versatile. Channel 1 is sterile clean, add a bit of gain and you get a warmer clean. Channel two can do AC/DC to Metallica crunch. Channel three is pretty much Metallica Crunch to Modern High Gain. Channel four is a Mark IV voiced lead channel (singing leads).

From my practical use of the amp there is not a tone it can't nail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.