Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Argh. My turn is up on the AFXII.

Tags
afxii argh turn
14K views 142 replies 30 participants last post by  79 
#1 ·
I just got an email saying I can now order the AFXII, due to my name being up on the waiting list.

The conundrum is that I'd still likely have to sell the DC-5 to get cover it, though not by much. It also means holding off on getting another guitar.

Decisions, decisions.

I really wish I could try the damn thing first; I hate dropping money on stuff, even though clearly it wouldn't be a disappointment.

I was going to hold onto the DC, get another guitar (probably a Carvin), and then get the HD500.

This sucks. :lol:

#2 ·
Sell the DC, buy a Mini Recto. I keep hearing they don't sound as bad as I thought they did in the vids. :yesway:

#3 ·
I did hear someone say that. :lol:

Actually, if I went that route, I'd just keep the DC, and add the Rec early next year. This is really about going all digital or staying tube. The HD500 is cheap enough that adding it for recording really isn't a big deal.

I wonder if they'll let me pass it to someone here that definitely wants one? That'd be cool.

#4 ·
Ask yourself what you're looking to do. If you're going to do serious home recording, and there is just no way you can make that happen with a real amp, then the AE2 is a way better choice than the POD. However, the price tag reflects that, and if you really just need it for casual recording or demoing, then why drop the coin?

My biggest problem with the AE is that I see the price, and remind myself it is essentially just a computer with a bunch of high quality plug-ins. I rather have a good recording machine, and exactly the plug-ins I need, rather than the Swiss Army knife.

#6 ·
This is true, though I'm just shy of what I need to get it, which means selling an amp that's not very plentiful in the sort of condition I've got it in.

I'm just going to skip it. While I know it's awesome, spending $2200 on something when I'm just a hobbyist who records for fun and/or jams once or twice a month is just overkill. Plus, I think selling the DC would give me heartburn.

#8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

noodles said:
My biggest problem with the AE is that I see the price, and remind myself it is essentially just a computer with a bunch of high quality plug-ins. I rather have a good recording machine, and exactly the plug-ins I need, rather than the Swiss Army knife.
I completely disagree with this. Get the II, it's amazing.

#11 ·
Sure, let me just drop $2500 on something I'm barely gonna use. I'll do it instead of paying the mortgage. :yesway:

#12 ·
*double post*

...but while I'm here...get the Axe....if you're that close to having the finances you should be able to float it without a sell off. If you end up regretting the purchase you won't have a problem unloading it later. If you DON'T give it a try though you will always wonder what could have been. :mk:

#29 ·
ITT: Jeff auctions off his spot in line, like the guys at the other site auctioning off a spot in the Rico Jr line.

#36 ·
I'm not anti-modeler. I just don't think it's as good as the real thing, unless you're running it through some real guitar speakers (and maybe some power tubes). Sounds great when you do though, and is great for recording!

#43 ·
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mike said:
I think Dave has you there, Chris.

:noodles:
Don't you have some of Dave's playing to be mixing while he tells us how easy it is?

#55 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.