Can't decide between two amps

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide between two amps

ME: Epiphone Les Paul

Can't decide between two amps

I've narrowed down my amp search to two amps and need some help between the two to see which might fit me better. The amps are:

Jet City JCA100HDM
    Egnater Vengeance

As for style of music I play, I play everything from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, The Beatles and Johnny Cash all the way to Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Machine Head, and Killswitch Engage. Pretty much everything from sparkly cleans to blues to classic crunch to 80's metal to modern metal. The most important tones for me to nail are the heavier tones, as my band plays/writes mostly groove/thrash style stuff.

Which of these amps would suit my needs better?

My current gear is:
    - Epi Les Paul Standard with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (B) and AlNiCo II Pro (N)
    - JCA24S
    - Original Crybaby (modded)
    - Hardwire TL-2
    - MXR 10-Band EQ
    - ISP Decimator

ME: Schecter Banshee
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

I've heard good things about Jet City amps. I nearly got the 20w a few months back but held off because I'm still not convinced it's good for playing modern metal.

I like both amps a lot, I just can't decide between them. They both seem to be great amps, but I don't know which one would suit me more. I honestly wish I could try both in person and A/B them, but I don't know anywhere that carries both near where I live.

ME: EBMM JP6 / JP7
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

It's going to be tough to get the Beatles, SRV and Lamb of God all in one amp.

My suggestion, though it's not in your list, is a 6505. It'll nail the shit out of the top end high gain stuff you mentioned, and with a modest boost in front of the rhythm channel (with the pre almost all the way down and, for example, just a TS808) it's not too bad at the others mentioned.

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: Mesa ROV25+V:25+Mesa Cab

Used Mesa DC series or F series, plus an OD pedal of some sort will get you a lot closer than either of those amps to as many of those tones as possible.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Having owned a JCA20H, they are VERY awesome amps. Owning a DC10 right now, well, I haven't dug into it very deep, but the Gain on it is very dynamic, and I can cop a lot of styles with it. Granted, for live use, you're rather limited to two footswitch choices, but if it's all you need, then it's all you need.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Wirelessly posted (: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Honestly, I can get all of those tones (or tones that work for all of those styles but may not sound exactly like the original) out of my single channel Peavey Windsor and a couple pedals. A two channel amp and an overdrive or two and you can get pretty much all of those easily.

It's between these two amps for sure. Mostly due to where I'm buying them, my price range, and time constraints. I think I'm gonna go with the Vengeance, though. Worst case scenario, I don't like it and I return it within the 30 day grace period and order the other one.