Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Splawn Quickrod - Entirely unimpressed.

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  kherman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys i had this in a few days ago and im so glad i didnt buy one blindly now and built my SLO instead.

The guy who owns it was more impressed with my SLO and is actually going to buy one.

He seemed quite miffed that he spent £1600 on this and preferred my amp :D

Don't get me wrong the amp was ok and all i was just expecting so much more and got a good sounding TSL voiced amp.

I'm still totally going to do the Nitro though.

See less See more
#6 ·
Another thing I've heard is that the Quickrods (and most Splawns in fact) are picky about the speakers, so they may sound only decent through one cab, and astounding through another.

Clip sounds quite cool though. I wonder what it would be like in a more hard rock or loud-as-shit AC/DC kind of tone setting.

#10 ·
You're talking about Todd's old one, right?

I loved it for what it was, but it was definitely more of a hard rock or classic metal amp. I tried it out at Division rehearsal a couple of times, and Mike's Triple swallowed it.

#9 ·
my buddy has one and it is very "cab sensitive".
He loves it, but he says he needs to crank it thru a hotplate to get the most out of it.
He also uses a 10 band EQ in the loop.

I think the clip you posted sounds great.

#13 ·
Well, the clip impressed me.
Nice job.
I thought it sounded great, and I plan on getting a newer quickrod someday. Just not right now.
I must admit I'm more into the classic metal tones more than the current high gain djent sounds a lot of guys are after these days.
So, maybe that's why the quickrod really appeals to me. Guess I'm just old school. Really just plain old!:rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.