Great opinion piece on amp modeling.

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Great opinion piece on amp modeling.

ME: Schecter Loomis
    Rig: Boss GT-10 w/Tight Metal

Great opinion piece on amp modeling.

I found this article today from Facebook, it echoes most of my thoughts on modeling perfectly, so I'd thought I'd share it here. Enjoy.

The History and Future of Amp Modeling

ME: PRS / Gibson
    MA: Yamaha
    MB: Jazz 6-string
    Rig: EVH 5150iii 50w

Nice article.
    I can see the "real vs not real" debate years ago, but now technology bridges the gap to where it's so close, almost no one could tell the difference in a blind taste test. People fear change.

I am the last generation that remembers buying and pouring through the liner notes of a newly purchased vinyl album. I watched it give way to cassettes, then CDs and digital downloads. Look at all the stores either going out of business or significantly reducing the size of their music department. Yes, I will miss the excitement of going to a music store on the day of my favorite artist's release, but it is what it is. The same is happening with book sales and stores. Record companies, book publisher and retail stores have been forced to restructure their business models to survive. There is no stopping technology progress. You cant fight it.

Now with modelers and recording software, it has put the tools in the hands of the artist. You dont have to spend tons of cash on recording studios or for lots of gear for different tones. It's all right there in your home. I have spent around $20000 on 4 albums recorded between 1998-2007. These were top notch studios where some had MILLIONS of dollars invested in equipment. Some of the home recordings I'm hearing today literally blow away my finished products. While they were good for the time, there is no denying that technology has afforded us the ability to make an album that is equal to, if not better, than what we could just 10 years ago. Not to mention, much cheaper. Like the article says, people with tons of money invested in gear will fight to the death on why their gear is superior. They need to feel there was a justification for their investment. There was a justification at the time, but technology continues to get not only better, but cheaper. Unfortunately, the investment you made is now worth significantly less and maybe even obsolete. It doesnt make your old technology a bad product. There is no doubt your gear still sounds great. Just outdated. The price for this means you have to let go of your prejudices and understand that people would rather hold on to their hard earned cash since they can now afford the tools of the trade and do everything themselves. The tools are there for you. Hell, people use to go to school for recording. Now, you can find all the lessons you need to get started on the internet.

So....are tube amps and traditional recording studios a bad thing? CERTAINLY NOT. However, there is no denying that technology is a "tradition killer." We are living in an incredible time where changes are happening at a rate where it's almost a challenge to keep up with it. Innovative spurs controversy and immense creativity. You may not like change, but it's going to happen whether you like it or not.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

While i agree on recordings, the technology is pretty much indistingushable, I dont agree its quite to that standard live. But overall I agree with the article.
    I think people are WAYYYYY too picky about tones. I listen to content, and if the recording and tone is even halfway decent, i'm not too bothered by it.
    Confront and Cry

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Disclaimer: I own four tube amps of various sizes and a POD XT, as well as Guitar Rig and the Revalver demo.

But, at the same time, the value of each successive generation of modeling gear doesn't seem to hold its value like the thing that it attempts to emulate. Each new piece of modeling tech essentially becomes "disposable" like the latest generation of computers, ipods, or televisions, while the value of the amplifiers that they model stays pretty much constant.

I think that, combined with the proliferation of cheap tube amps, shows that modeling is not a market substitute; it's merely another option.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

MB: Fender 5 string Jazz
    Rig: JVM 210H-JCM800 2X12

Good article!
    You can keep your Doctor....Period!
    I won't come in your mouth...Period

ME: Schecter C8 ATX
    MA: Epiphone Masterbilt
    Rig: AxeFxUltra-2:90-Mesa4X12

I LOVE my Axe Fx Ultra. I also LOVE recording my band myself. I very rarely hear a recording of a band that sounds any good when they have paid someone else to do it. They always sound like shit. They are always rushed and they sound aweful. No one is going to care about my music more than I will. It took me almost 3 months to record my bands first song when I taught myself how to use Pro-Tools. But once I was done I was so excited because I knew I would never have to pay anyone to record my music again. I look at modelers as part of that freedom. I love how some people insist on using their own amp to record with and then it sounds like shit because they don't know how to properly mic up an amp.

I actually took 2 engineering classes in college and learned how to run a studio session and record a band. This was just when hard disk recording was just starting to emerge. I will never forget what my professor said when I asked him about what he thought of using hard disk recording set ups. He told all of us that it is the way of the future and that everyone will be doing it eventually.

We live in an amazing age.

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: Mesa ROV25+V:25+Mesa Cab

This is what I think is horseshit (not on the author's part, but rather on someone whom he quotes):

Unless this guy entirely missed the point, I was not saying that an AxeFX can exactly replicate David Gilmour’s classic tone. I’m saying that David Gilmour could find an amazing tone with an AxeFX. He could create amazing music with one. It truly pains me that some people will give the gear more credit than the artist.
    While I do see what the author is saying and do agree with him, the guy saying that you can't find Gilmour's tone in the Axe is Full. Of. Shit.

I'm so sick of these fucking golden eared assholes on the Internet that think that they can really tell the difference between tone A. and tone B. It gets really, really old. The other thread with the HD and Axe clips just shows that modeling has gotten to be extraordinary period, and there's a piece for people at nearly every price point.

There are many studios that have hundreds of thousands to millions in gear that are going out of business because of products like axefx, plugs that "immolate" real pieces of hardware, and the lack of musicians taking pride in what they do. Today vs. 20-30 years ago people move more and more towards the "cheaper easy way out". Things today sound so digital its a joke. Bands like animals as leaders will literally record in a bedroom studio, and when they do so, the bands that look up to them end up wanting to do they same thing that they do. This gives any kid the option of becoming an engineer or producer with almost no investment, and almost no knowledge. Real studios lose work every day and go bankrupt everyday because of this. The only thing that us studio owners can do is fight it the best we can. You have to understand, THOUSANDS of people read that thread that we were just posting in and will actually utilize the information that was posted.
    Oh my God! Really? We're presented with the fact that people like AAL (and for that matter throw Bulb and his ilk in with this, because they've spear-headed this movement) can make great-sounding disks in their homes, and that kids will want to emulate that, and this is a bad thing? Sure, with the increase in output there will be a lot of crap. But with that crap, cream will rise to the top, and there will still be great music that sounds good.

The only thing it changes is the need for horrendously expensive studios, obsolete record labels, etc.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer

ME: RG3570z
    MA: Breedlove Pursuit Concert
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Mark Five:25

I am willing to bet that if a forum had existed in the 60s they would have been slamming using a small box of transistors to get distortion instead of taking a razor blade to your speakers.
    Here's the main point IMO. People will always stick by what they know. A lot of people are just too closed-minded to change their ways.