tube amp Q

   Heavy Metal Guitar   

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: tube amp Q

  1. #1

    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Wisconsin
    ME: Ibby CST,CT,UV pwh
    MA: Ibby CST w/piezo
    Rig: Axe fx II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    tube amp Q

    I've got a Spider valve line 6 that I haven't played for a couple months. I plugged it in, hooked everything up and .....NOTHING. Is that what happens when tubes go out or could it be the vol controls? Those were getting scratchy the last time I was playing on it? All lights come on, everything seems to be working ....and yes I checked the speaker in the back to see if it was hooked up still....Any suggestions before I send it out for a look-see?
    Guitars are like pringles....You can never have just one!

  2. #2

    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: Canadia
    ME: none
    MA: Seagull!
    MB: None.
    Rig: Hd500->V300->Mesa 212

    iTrader: 0

    I use my recto like once a month, it never has issues like that.

  3. #3

    Join Date: May 2011
    Location: Wakefield, UK
    ME: Swirley Shirley
    MB: Shine POS
    Rig: SLO & MkIIC+

    iTrader: 2 (100%)

    By all lights come on i presume you mean the power indicator and the valves light up?

    If the valves arent heating up my first thing to check would to see if the amp has a seperate fuse for the heaters. If it does then this is your most likely culprit.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog

    Also if you want a link slapping on there shoot me a PM

  4. #4

    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Arizona
    ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

    iTrader: 0

    ...and if a fuse is blown, generally it means you have a tube blowing the fuse. Replace the fuse, throw the amp on in standby, then switch out of standby. Watch the tubes. More than likely after a few seconds the blown tube will begin to glow much brighter than the others. That's the one! Replace it and it's matched pair.

    90% of tube amp problems are blown tubes. The other 10% are Drew's fault.

  5. #5

    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Boston, MA
    ME: EBMM JP6 / JP7
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

    iTrader: 34 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    90% of tube amp problems are blown tubes. The other 10% are Drew's fault.

  6. #6

    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Lake District, UK
    ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

    iTrader: 11 (100%)

    Vince is right on the money. No idea what the other stuff is he was on about though? Wtf are these valve/tube things?


Similar Threads

  1. First Tube Amp.
    By chato1021 in forum Guitar: Gear Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 03:41 PM
  2. shipping a tube amp
    By shannon in forum Guitar: Gear Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 01:29 AM
  3. Tube or SS for AXE FX?
    By Samer in forum Guitar: Gear Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 05:02 AM
  4. Tube Amp Lighting?
    By Blankplank in forum Guitar: Gear Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 03:08 AM
  5. FS B-52 AT-100: All-Tube Amp w/ 412 cab
    By DonBot in forum Amps & Gear For Sale / Trade / Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 02:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  Decibel Guitars  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge