Metal Guitarist Forums banner

MultiFX vs Stompboxes

5K views 46 replies 9 participants last post by  Zeetwig 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all headbangers :)

I have a topic up for discussion: multieffects vs stompboxes :D

What do you think? I know it's hard to give a general answer to this, as it depends on type of effect and manufacturer and so on, but I'm not looking for an "answer" to this, just your opinions :) Feel free to comment on specific pedals, and not just in MFX vs boxes in general ^^

Here's my view on it, plus a bonus question for those who are very taught in the art of handling axes and their enhancements :p

I personally like the fact that you can buy an MFX unit for the price of say 3-4 stomp boxes, and get like 20 times the effects :) However I think the effects in the boxes sound a little better and are more versatile than the MFX effects, but I'm not too picky when it comes to effects so I don't care much :p The price difference between buying dozens of boxes and a single MFX unit justifies the small gap in quality, according to me :p

A problem I see with MFX is when it comes to amps. Since it's a single unit I cannot split my MFX unit into 2 pieces and put one before the amp and one in the FX loop... :noplease: How do you guys solve this problem? Put the MFX in the loop/before the amp and then buy boxes for the effects needed for the other position?

(This has probably been discussed to death previously but surprisingly enough I didn't find any threads that contained both of the words the words "multi effects" and "stomp box" :confused:, so I thought why not make a new thread :yesway:)

See less See more
#2 ·
it all depends what you're going for.

It's sheer stupidity comparing both since every is after something different. You're simply asking a general questiong to a specific answer wich leads to an ambiguous answer that serves no one.

But to answer it to some degree:

If you're on a tight budget you're best off with a multi fx unit since you'll have more to play with.
If you're not on a budget you'll probably have both since there's thing one can do the other can't (wah wah being the first that comes to mind).

for me personally:
i like multifx rack unit since i'm perfectly happy with how they sound, i use a little bit of everything available & it sounds perfect to me, while switching it all easily.

#3 ·
Sorry if I offended you in any way by creating this post. It definitely wasn't the purpose of it :O I was just curious what people think of MFX vs stompboxes in general, but also in more detail :)

I myself have just MFX, and a stompbox tuner xD I have tried a few stompboxes, but I am curious what people think of them :)

And thanks for the answer btw :) How to you set up your pedals with your amp?

#4 ·
i'm not offended by it at all, i just find it a little pointless really.

basicly my setup will be:

Tuner pedal > Presonus studio channel > rocktron chamelon > poweramp > orange 2x12. all switching with a tech 21 midi moose

And

Tuner pedal > modded Crate GT1200H > delay in loop > orange 2x12 for extreme metal

im not getting a korg dtr for budget reasons mainly plus i don't want a heavy rack again either. love the sound of the chorus & delay in the chamelon so got all i want with it basicly (and im not a fan of sounds with tons of effects on it either). Only an axe fx will get that chameleon unit out of my rig.

Solo patches are generally delay with a touch of chorus & that hardly justifies a crapload of pedals for me. Rythm pretty much the same for cleans & heavy distortion might get a pitch shifter on it if i'm the only guitarist in the band.

For one trick pony setups with occasional solo's a decent head with a delay in the loop is all you need basicly. (just lucky my head only costed me 400$ new :lol:)

Thing is that you can find decent multifx units second hand (rocktron & tc electronics) for the price of a single decent pedal nowadays.

Most common is probably the multifx rack unit in loop with a tubescreamer in front of the amp in metal/heavy rock circles.

#5 ·
I personally prefer stompboxes purely because i can build them super cheap :D and they also sound better in some cases and its a lot easier to have say 3 or 4 chorus pedals rather than one chorus effect and just swap them in and out as you need.

Also you can split multifx so you have them before the amp and in the loop the TC elecronics nova system does this very well and im selling one for a friend at a bargain price :D

At the end of the day though its all down to personal preference.

My setup is as follows

Dual channel looper (clean & dirty)

in the clean loop theres

compressor & chorus

In the dirty loop theres

My custom OD/gate

It just has one switch to switch between both loops and also switches the amps channel accordingly.

This is ideal for me as if i get bored of a certain effect i can just pull it out and make something else to replace it.

Oh im also adding another looper that goes into the effects loop too that also switches channels accordingly.

#6 · (Edited)
Ok good :) I can bare with asking pointless questions, but I don't want to offend people :S THAT really serves no one!

I, too, don't like to have tons of effects :S Distortion, reverb and some delay is the main ingredients, but I might spice up my tone with some flanger, phaser, wah, compressor and EQ when I feel it will enhance the music :)

I have a Boss ME-70 that I really like ^^ But as you say, a tubescreamer or overdrive before the amp would be nice, and then some delay and maybe chorus and flanger in the loop. But as I have just one ME-70, I can't do both :S Should I buy some stompboxes to fix this, or another MFX unit, or what do you think? :)

Wow you have some complex stuff going on there Toe-Knee :p I cannot build pedals myself so I'll have to stump up some cash instead...

And yeah it probably is easier to have 4 boxes and then do some tap dancing, especially if you're playing live. But since I mainly record stuff and have all the time I need to adjust settings and so on, a single box works just as well ^^

Just one question: how do one split multifx units? Is it possible with a ME-70?

#7 ·
Stompboxes: Ultimate convenience. Want to adjust something, there's the knob.
Multi-Fx: More shit in one spot, less real estate, dive through menus to change things.

Stompbox advantage: Way easier to adjust live.
Multi-Fx: Less physical stuff to deal with, can have presets.

*Though many pedals these days have preset functions as well.

#9 · (Edited)
Do you think stompboxes are easier to tweak than MFX? If I have some pretty high-end MFX, like a GT-10 or a POD HD, wouldn't I be able to tweak them just as much as the stompbox? (I'm not defending MFX- just curious :))

For a gigging player I think 9 out of 10 would say stompboxes, but for studio purposes? :)

I dont actually have to do any tap dancing thats what the loopers for.

It switches the channel on the amp and brings in a set of pedals with just one switch.

I arent sure about the unit you have i just know a few do have it.
True :) ignore my comment on tap dancing :p

I have only one input on my me-70 (except for the mix in for external audio), and nothing that implies any loops or anything. The MFX that you know is splittable, do they have more than one input?

#12 ·
True, very true sir :) The knob will always be faster and easier than the MFX, but for studio-only purpose a MFX might be better since it might be tweakable beyond comprehension :p

I also see that you posses both stompboxes and MFX. Which one do you prefer when it comes to recording and so on? Or are they equal?

#13 ·
I love running some of my stompboxes in front of the Axe-fx. I run a boost and a comp, so that the Axe's compressor can compliment my outboard comp. Then I run my GMaj/2 in the loop of the AxeFx so that I can reroute delays out one bus and back into the loop so that the stereo phase is offset (by adding subtle half-millisecond increments) by the second delay. Sometimes I run a phaser in front, in the loop, and at the end of the chain. I then run another boost at the end of the chain with completely opposite settings from the first boost. The combo of the two makes the tone nice and fat. On top of that, I have a wah in front of and in the loop of the AxeFx, along with the Axe's built in wah. When I record, I use both feet for wah, and when I'm stepping down with one foot I step up with the other one. They offset each other, so I have my girlfriend use the native wah and I hit her if she doesn't keep tempo. She's getting better at staying on time. Just kidding, I use the MFX, because it's built in, I'm lazy, and they're just as good.

#18 ·
Wow that's some complex chains! :O I assume this answers means: you like both MFX and stompboxes, and each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Neither is better than the other, not in general nor in specific situations. It's what you do with the pedals that determine whether they are better than other pedals or not

Or am I wrong? :D

it then has two further outputs that you connect into the fx loop.

Thats all there is to it.

you then setup where you want the fx on the unit
I probably shouldn't bother you more but where are those two further outputs? :S I can only see two TRS inputs and two TRS outputs, and those are L/R outs, so I take it that one has to connect then both to whatever is behind the MFX box. Something doesn't add upp (for me at least) :S

#16 ·
I found for gigging multi effects easier. My issue was that on stage I wanted to switch between clean and distortion. With stomp boxes I had to compromise my noise gate threshold so that clean and distorted could both work without sound dropping out and me having to turn it off when switching. Also when I wanted clean I wanted a delay so I had to hit that stomp box and I didn't have room to fit my reverb stomp box let alone use it.

So now I can program in my clean and distorted presets separately. I now get what I want when I hit a button as opposed to tap dancing :D

#24 · (Edited)
Hahahaha :rofl: I get the point ^^ Sorry for talking too much, but I like this forum you know :D:metal:

Generally i find that modulation, EQs etc work better in the loop anything else i put before it.

Id do sometimes enjoy a clean boost in the loop for solos too.
So distortion, compressor, reverb and delay, etc, is better before the amp than in the loop? I've heard that delay is often used in the loop?

Guess it's very personal what you think works best where :)

Any more opinions on stompboxes vs multi-effects? :)

#25 ·
You'll probably think of me as a jerk for doing this but... :p

What do you think of the boss MultiFX vs the boss stompboxes? Which one is best sound-wise? Is the compressor stompbox EXACTLY like the compressor in the multiFX pedals, for instance? Or do they sound different (ok compressor isn't the best choice but you get the point :p)

Btw regarding FX chains, can anyone tell if this chain looks good? I have "done my homework" and looked up all the pedals and their placement, and this is the chain I think would be the best. :)

Guitar -> tuner -> wha -> compressor -> overdrive/distortion -> preamp -> (FX loop send) -> EQ -> Noise gate/supressor -> modulation (phaser, flanger, chorus, octaver, harmonizer, etc) -> delay -> reverb -> (FX loop return) -> poweramp -> speakers

#27 ·
No problem :) Thank you for "ok-ing" the chain :p I have read somewhere that some people like throwing a phaser and/or an EQ before the amp (in addition to or instead of a phaser and/or an EQ in the loop). Do you have any opinion on this?

And we'll just have to wait for someone else to chime in :) If they can still bear me resurrecting every single thread a thousand times XD :lol:

#28 ·
It all depends on the application.

Phasers i dont really have a preference but i find EQs work better in the loop.

Chorus pedals are where i get picky as for cleans i prefer them before the amp but of distorted sounds i prefer them in the loop. Lucky for me i generally only use them on cleans so i stick them before.

The best way really is to find out what works for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the effects on a multifx dont quite react with the amp the same way as dedicated boxes do.

Overdrives are a key example of this ive never found a good sounding one that doesnt just make an amp sound like a modeller when used from a multifx.

#29 ·
Ok good to know :yesway: (about the overdrive in MFX)

As I have said I have a Boss ME-70 multiFX, and it has all the things I mentioned in the chain. I was planning on putting it in the loop and then use the effects that I had in the loop-part of the chain I described. Regarding compressor and overdrive (that would be before the amp) I think I'll buy them separately, if I need them of course.

Regarding chorus: as it isn't an effect that I use a lot I think I'll survive to have it in the loop :p But I'll try both and see what's nicest :agreed:

Do you have any other examples of effects that doesn't sound as good when they come in MFX as in stompboxes (when used with the amp)? What about reverb and delay?

#30 ·
Ok good to know :yesway: (about the overdrive in MFX)

As I have said I have a Boss ME-70 multiFX, and it has all the things I mentioned in the chain. I was planning on putting it in the loop and then use the effects that I had in the loop-part of the chain I described. Regarding compressor and overdrive (that would be before the amp) I think I'll buy them separately, if I need them of course.

Regarding chorus: as it isn't an effect that I use a lot I think I'll survive to have it in the loop :p But I'll try both and see what's nicest :agreed:

Do you have any other examples of effects that doesn't sound as good when they come in MFX as in stompboxes (when used with the amp)? What about reverb and delay?
I find reverb and delay to be excellent on MFX generally you can create some really wacky sounds as the parameters are very flexible.

The only other thing that ive ever noticed has been really bad on MFX is the EQs they also seem to "digitize" the sound a fair bit

#34 ·
Any recommendations on good overdrives? :p Something smooth-ish, warm and tasty. Not a jackhammer steamroller with shitloads of gain :noway:

I have a POD HD500 for recording, and occasionally I use it for jams direct into a PA, but generally I prefer an amp with 2 or 3 pedals.

I really only use delay, chorus, and sometimes a phaser or tremolo, so having a nutty MFX system is a bit of a waste for me. I hate flangers, I don't like reverb, and my amp doesn't need more gain or a boost. It also has a GEQ, so that's not needed either.
Do you record directly into your computer (or via an audio interface)? Cause I have considered buying a POD HD and would very much like to know if the end results are good? ^^ Are you using an amp sim in the DAW?

#33 ·
I have a POD HD500 for recording, and occasionally I use it for jams direct into a PA, but generally I prefer an amp with 2 or 3 pedals.

I really only use delay, chorus, and sometimes a phaser or tremolo, so having a nutty MFX system is a bit of a waste for me. I hate flangers, I don't like reverb, and my amp doesn't need more gain or a boost. It also has a GEQ, so that's not needed either.

#35 ·

Keep telling yourself those things. :wub:

#36 ·
Chris said:
Keep telling yourself those things. :wub:
Keep telling myself what? My continued, consistent preferences, and the fact that I've had the same amp for a record 4 years? :lol:

I may buy and sell guitars like I change my underwear, but I'm pretty consistent with the amp.

I tried the POD through the Mesa, and I just didn't care with the futzing when playing. I'm not saying that it's that way for everyone, but I prefer working within the limitations of pedals for that.

#37 ·
Zeetwig said:
Any recommendations on good overdrives? :p Something smooth-ish, warm and tasty. Not a jackhammer steamroller with shitloads of gain :noway:

Do you record directly into your computer (or via an audio interface)? Cause I have considered buying a POD HD and would very much like to know if the end results are good? ^^ Are you using an amp sim in the DAW?
I record direct with the USB on the POD, and it's decent enough, but still not as good as an AxeFX, and still not as dynamic as my amp through a Palmer DI.

#38 ·
Well AxeFX has its own category in the FX domain, and they cost like a whole category too.. :S But if it sounds decent to you and you've compared it to an AxeFX then it should be all right :) I think that I get nice tones out of my boss me-70 plugged into my mac, so it won't be a problem :D

And about the Palmer. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them, like the PGA04. How's the tone and dynamics compared to mic'ing the amp? :)

#39 ·
Zeetwig said:
Well AxeFX has its own category in the FX domain, and they cost like a whole category too.. :S But if it sounds decent to you and you've compared it to an AxeFX then it should be all right :) I think that I get nice tones out of my boss me-70 plugged into my mac, so it won't be a problem :D

And about the Palmer. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them, like the PGA04. How's the tone and dynamics compared to mic'ing the amp? :)
I think you misunderstood; I don't think my effects setup is as good as an Axe, I just prefer pedals for use with an amp, that's all. And for me, I like my particular amp too much that at this point I'm not looking to go elsewhere.

As for the Palmer, I've got clips somewhere that I'll post later where it's the same clip recorded DI'd and with an SM57, and despite my playing they both sound great. The tone and dynamics are very similar.

#43 ·
No I understood correct (I think at least :p), but I was a bit clumsy in my reply, sorry about that. What I meant was that since AxeFX a really nice piece of gear and you thought that the POD HD was decent in comparison with the AxeFX then the POD HD cannot be that bad, and should be good enough for me :)

Regarding the palmer: nice! ^^ Can't wait for those clips! :D

I prefer stompboxes, all the way

Which is why I'm picking up a pod :lol:
That seems a bit contradictive but I guess you have your reasons :lol:

Modellers and multi effects really need some learning to get the most from them. Loads of people buy them, don't read the manual and complain about how bad they sound without realising they never set it up correctly. If you want to figure out how to use your ME70 best, RTFM!
I have RTFM like four times :lol: I know what I'm doing with the ME-70. What I meant with that 'I think I can get some nice tones out of my ME-70' is that I IMO can get nice tones out of it, but it's nothing like a tube amp :p

#41 ·
I've got a rack rig with a Mesa TriAxis (midi), TC.E. GSharp (midi), and a Randall RT2/50 (midi), which I control with a MidiBuddy.

Then, I've got a Mesa DC10 that I will soon get an echo pedal for.

I :wub: them both.

#42 ·
My gig rig is a Digitech GSP1101 going into a Marshall 9200 tube power amp and that into my cab. I control the digitech with a behringer midi footswitch. It's a really handy setup as I can change between any of my sounds with one click of a footswitch instead of having to do a lot of switching with pedals. I find the modelling on my preamp is decent enough, and while it probably doesn't do as good a raw distortion tone as my Engl e530, the convenience makes it my go to setup for gigging. Modellers and multi effects really need some learning to get the most from them. Loads of people buy them, don't read the manual and complain about how bad they sound without realising they never set it up correctly. If you want to figure out how to use your ME70 best, RTFM!
I have been picking up some more pedals lately though for a second rig, I'm planning on having a nice selection of single pedals to cover a lot of tonal ground and have that run into a nice tube amp for practising at home and non metal gigs. I love the idea of having a nice few pedals and experimenting with them. Pedals are generally pretty cheap too, it's easy enough to get a few of the basic ones for little money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.