Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Distortion level on expression pedal

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Timorite 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone.

I'm looking for a solution to modify the level of distortion using an expression pedal. In other words, I'd like to go from a clear sound (or with an effect) to a distorded sound, not on/off but really progressively. Or even better if possible, the effects of the first sound should disappear while the distortion appears.

If you know a multi-effect pedal which does it, it's fine too. But I'm open to every possibility. (And the cheapest solutions first please. ^^' )

Thanks a lot.

#2 ·
so, i know there is some crazy ass pedal that actually twists the knob on the other pedal, but thats ridiculous :lol:

The only thing im aware of that you could do, is wire the pot in an expression pedal in where the gain control on the distortion pedal is, but that also seems messy.

#4 ·
Tone in Progress - Home of the Third Hand which gives real time control over your analog guitar effects !

Musictoyz.com: Tone In Progress 3rd Hand

I've done stuff like this with my GT-6. You can set the expression pedal to manipulate up to 8 parameters simultaneously, so you can use it to increase the gain, reduce the patch level (so the volume stays relatively the same as gain is boosted), and turn down the mix on the chorus, reverb, delay (or whatever you've got running on your clean channel).

On the newer BOSS GT units, you can set up parallel effects chains and use the expression pedal to blend between them.

#5 ·
Yeah the solution of the pedal that physically turns the button on another pedal seems strange, but why not if it works. I'd prefer to have it electronically inserted somewhere in the sound circuit to change the gain, but I don't have the right competence in that area. :/

Thanks for the answers. If someone has another solution please speak. ^^'

#7 ·
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

Volume pedal before your amp/distortion will work the same as the volume knob on your guitar and clean up the signal a bit.
If its an overdrive yeah, but if its a distortion, odds are that if hes got the distortion pedal set high enough to provide any real range, hes going to have a hard time getting it undistorted.

#9 ·
It WOULD require a touch-sensitive distortion, but a volume pedal would work.

Of course, that points to a far cheaper solution - the volume knob on your guitar. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.