Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Blackstar ht-5 boost/od/dist

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  eleven59 
#1 ·
Hi guys, im new here and im sure this has been discussed before but i havent found anything. im wondering what the best pedal is to run infront of the ht-5 for metal. so far the biggest contenders are the sd-1,bad monkey, and ts-7. but im open to suggestions. what is the concensus? thanks:metal:

#6 ·
I'm seriously looking at the Custom Badass OD myself, since I've had my modded TS7 do weird things occasionally and it's a huge part of my heavier sounds.

#11 ·
There is no "best" overdrive for metal, or anything for that matter. I personally go back and forth between two depending on the song, or even depending on the riff I'm tracking at the time.

If you're not really sure what you want in an overdrive, start with a DigiTech Bad Monkey. It's dirt cheap and is a great place to start. Then you'll be able to go "I kinda want a more open sounding OD" or "I want more bass" etc. and go from there. Heck, you may even find the Bad Monkey is perfect for you!

#13 ·
Connor's post up there is a fairly astute one. I'm using a bog-standard, unmodded TS9 in front of my HT40 at the moment, and I've yet to encounter anything that's made me think about changing to something else. Other, of course, than the inherent belief that something out there probably sounds better in some ethereal and indescribable way, which predominantly comes from spending far too much time on gear forums.

#18 ·
Bad Monkey is a great start. If you happen to have a metalzone lying around, you could also use that as a booster, that's how I got started. It'll get you that icepicky black metal sound no problem. Good luck on everything else though. I only suggest it because most people happen to have one somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.