NAD!!! EVH 5150 iii (100 watt)... mother of mercy!

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAD!!! EVH 5150 iii (100 watt)... mother of mercy!

NAD!!! EVH 5150 iii (100 watt)... mother of mercy!

So i finally did it... i sold off my old faithful Peavey Triple xxx and replaced it with an EVH 5150 iii! I was attracted to the 50 watt mini, but the lack of a true separate clean/crunch channel turned me off. I have to say, i was worried about being homesick for the XXX (i've used it for like 7 years), but so far this thing has blown me away. I am using it with my bevy of Ibanez 7 strings with mostly Dimarzio pickups in them (one has BKP Aftermaths), through an Avatar 2x12 cab (one V30, one G12H).
    The cleans are just fantastic. That was probably my biggest complaint about the XXX... the cleans were good for a high gain amp, but not good in the real sense of the word. They were bearable. The 5150 iii has a nice warm clean tone that can also get bright and sparkly if you want it. You can even crank the gain on it and get a nice amount of breakup going on. If you also dial up a lot of presence, it gets a really strange, stringy overdrive going on; it almost sounds like an acoustic with a distortion pedal in front of it, which is kinda odd! Can't wait to hear how the cleans sound with some reverb and chorus on them... i need to buy some damn effects.

The crunch channel is sweet. i've probably spent the least amount of time on this channel, really. It covers all the mid to high(ish) gain tones. I might look into some kind of tube swap that would enable me to get a little but more gain out of this channel; as it is now, it has just BARELY less on tap than what i usually use for rhythm tones when playing my own stuff. I mean, BARELY... i'd like to just get a little more gain and compression out of it. But the actual TONE is killer. I imagine you could get a killer brown sound out of this channel if you were so inclined.

The lead channel is a beast. It does what the 5150's are known for, only better. It isn't as ragged or piercing as the original model can be (which can be good or bad, depending on your taste), but to my ears, it can get even more savage and brutal. The low end is some of the tightest i've ever heard, and it has more gain on tap than you'd ever need. I bet it sounds ridiculous in a mix, too.

I have a Bad Monkey, which i used today to try boosting it. I left the low/high knobs at noon, cranked the level knob all the way, and left the gain knob all the way down or just barely turned it up. It made that crunch channel sound KILLER for rhythm! It really added the sizzle i wanted. I'd still rather have that kind of gain on tap rather than relying on a pedal all the time, though.... with the lead channel, the Bad Monkey made it even tighter and nastier, without adding much noise. Its easy for it to get a little too gainy, so you don't want to over do it. But yeah, it sounds insane. I'll make some videos or something soon.

The presence knobs on the amp are interesting, especially on the crunch/lead channels; they don't just add high end, they really alter the voicing of the gain. With the lead channel, if you crank the presence and reduce the treble, you can get it to sound almost exactly like the original 5150 combo. Very compressed, somewhat buzzy, and extremely brutal. I've been dialing in the presence knob until i got the character of distortion i'm after, then tweaking the EQ until i got the tone i wanted. You can really get a lot of different tones out of the amp just by spending some time with the presence knobs.

But overall, i'm very pleased! I can't wait to try this thing out at band practice volumes (and with a live band mix). Its got to be the tightest, most versatile and toneful amp i've ever used. Plus now that i don't have to look at trucker girls on the faceplate, i feel like i own a grown-up's piece of gear. Huzzah!

ME: Strypoverse
    MA: Ovation Electric
    Rig: Axe-FX II

Nice, although I would miss the trucker girls Before I forget, I dug the CD, 2-6-7 were my favorites. And the Dominion bridge in basswood can be a little dark sounding until you find the right patch and then it serves up LOG tone in spades

ME: PRS / Gibson
    MA: Yamaha
    MB: Jazz 6-string
    Rig: EVH 5150iii 50w

GAS hard for this! Wish the mini had 3 independent EQs like this one.

ME: SVK Les Paul Custom
    MA: Washburn something
    MB: Charvel 1B
    Rig: Marshall 8100

Congrats dude. You had the same experience I did with the Rhythm channel. I have the 5150ii model, and until I got a good overdrive pedal I never used it, but then WOW! I got this amp for the tight low end, and I'll definitely be keeping it until I can replace it with the 50watt model. 5150 lead channel > all
    Do you know what time it is? It's time to FARK SHEET ARRRRRP!!

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Awesome guitar stand is awesome

I want one of these. Once again, awesome amp bro.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

I'v REALLY been eyeballin one of these in the ivory. Nice score.
    Confront and Cry

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend 7 Strings of Hate View Post
    I'v REALLY been eyeballin one of these in the ivory. Nice score.
    [VIDEO]]DO IT, DO IT - full, perfect quality - YouTube[/VIDEO]