Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Avatar Cabs

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Older Avatar Cabs

I found what looked to be an older Avatar 2x12 at GC, used for $180 with two random Celestions in it. Black carpet with plastic corner protectors and a metal grille. Two wheels and awesome recessed handles. Any and all of it could have been added on by the user.

Any data on quality? My concern is that it literally weighed half as much as a Mesa 2x12. I like this fact, but I'm wondering how the tone would compare.
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

I've played a decent assortment of Avatar cabs (bass, guitar, 4x12, 2x12, 2x12, 1x12) new and old, and they have all been fantastic.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I would pay twice that much to have a cab NOT covered in carpet. Seriously one of the worst ideas in the history of amps.

That being said, I had an Avatar Contemporary 112 w/ V30 I ordered new from them and it kicked ass. Wish I still had it. Foolishly traded it towards one of my Mesa cabs for like $100-125 credit. Should have just kept it.

ME: KxK Sii-7
    MA: Martin OMC-1E
    MB: Dingwall Combustion
    Rig: Line 6

Avatars are pretty good. My 4x12 sounds great and has held up admirably against years of being moved around and beaten up.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

The rat fur carpet stuff is hideous and collects smells like no other, but it's freaking indestructible

If you need a beater cab, it's a great bet. Even Avatar's older stuff is pretty solid.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Alright I'll just bastardize my thread with a follow-up: we're trying to set up a dual-mono rig in my band where each guitar player runs a 1x12 to the other guy's side. Pro for me: sound guy can just mic my "real" cab if he won't run me direct, and regardless of the monitoring situation we each get a good direct dose of the other guy from our side of the stage, so should eliminate problems hearing each other. Can lower our stage volumes.

If I ran a 2x12 in stereo, one side is me and the other side is him, would there be all kinds of phase or muddiness issues caused by two different performances and tones being generated inside one cabinet?

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

I assume you're trying to do it as cheaply as possible? A pair of HD1221s would be ideal for you guys. Put both of you in each of them, one in front of you, one in front of him, and you can both control your own monitor mixes.

Edit: Or, since you have my old Carvin power amp, use that to drive a pair of unpowered monitor wedges (cheaper). Send your output into one side, his into the other, two channels out to the two wedges.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Yeah, Chris's ideas would work great, but so would yours. I've jammed a bunch with budda with us each using half of a shared stereo 4x12 and it sounds fine, so I assume a 2x12 would too.