NAD: Coming out of the closet...

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAD: Coming out of the closet...

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

NAD: Coming out of the closet...

Haven't really been posting regularly here in quite a while, but I have a less packed schedule this semester and I figured I'd pop in more often. I've acquired a lot of gear in the past couple months and I miss talking to some of you motherfuckers. Got this ENGL Blackmore in relatively recently. I know ENGLs have largely fallen out of favor with the online community in favor of other stuff (as well as a lot of shit being talked about their build quality), but I still dig them.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

A buddy of mine (who tried to hock his 6505+ on here a few months ago ) ended up getting a Powerball or some such thing. Sounded fucking awesome

ME: Sherman 8 String
    MB: Dingwall ABI 6 String
    Rig: Axe-FX Ultra

Your neighbors must love you. To death. With a machete.

Yeah, ENGLs are cool, I have an older e620 preamp as well (90s I think?) that I enjoy quite a bit, and before that my main rig was an e530 preamp. I *really* want to get an older Straight into my collection, but those don't come up for sale that often.

The Powerball (which gets a lot of hate) is a bit tonally different from the Savage/Blackmore side of things. It definitely has applications though. I think the Witchery's Witchkrieg *might* have been tracked with one, and I like the tones on that a lot. The only other album that I know is Powerball is Opeth's Blackwater Park, and I haven't listened to that in forever. The Savage derived models are definitely a really classic sound though, one listen to "Only For The Weak" will tell you that.
    [VIDEO]]In Flames - Only for the weak - YouTube[/VIDEO]

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorred View Post
    Your neighbors must love you. To death. With a machete.
    Hahahahahahahaha, I'll have to do a thread in the VIP section on my neighbors and apartment mates sometime soon, it's certainly an.................interesting.............situati on.

I live in an apartment complex that has a shit ton of African American student athletes who like to blast hip hop/dubstep from their cars in the parking lot at all hours of the day. Sometimes the urge to crank it is too much to bear.

Part of the reason I got it is because ENGLs rape face at low volumes more than any other brand out there, and I can't really ever use my Riveras, since those have to be at ungodly volumes to sound good.

I do hear reports of Engl build quality, however I've personally never had a problem at all. I've owned two different ones for a total of nearly 10 years now (a Thunder 50 from 2002 to 2008, and the Invader 150 from then to now). My bandmate's Engl Savage has had a couple of services though (although no big problems that caused it, just a little oddness) so maybe there is a bit of weight to it.

As far as falling out of favour, the online community can do what it likes. I have never found an amp which fits my playing style better than the Invader, and I'm not sure I ever will. Diezels, Mesas, Peaveys, Cornford, Blackstars, the EVH 5150 III, VHT/Fryette, and all sorts of other ones I can't remember over the years, it's only when I go through my Invader that everything sounds like it should to me.

ME: RG550
    MB: EXB445
    Rig: 5153/Orange

Awesome.. I almost bought a Blackmore before the Powerball. I know they sound great; especially out of that cab

ME: SVK Les Paul Custom
    MA: Washburn something
    MB: Charvel 1B
    Rig: Marshall 8100

Nice. i've always wanted to try a Blackmore.

Hows that sound, in relation to like a Marshall high gain amp?
    Do you know what time it is? It's time to FARK SHEET ARRRRRP!!