Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Samplers

Tags
samplers
1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  shredfreak 
#1 ·
I know nothing about this side of things. I've got an idea that we might start throwing a few samples and things in live, perhaps some samples during songs etc maybe some stuff between songs. Does anyone know of a practical easy unit that could handle something like that, doesn't have to be over the top, just some playback on cue triggered by a drum pad. Potentially providing our click tracks might be a nice option too, so some kind of split output to headphones and FOH.

#3 ·
In my band we use a laptop with ableton live. we use a split headphone cable and an In-Ear Monitor system.

The tracks are on the left channel and the click is on the right so tracks go to our monitor board and FOH and click just goes in out monitor system.

Our drummer controls the start and stop of each track. The click also has vocal queues that say whats coming up next (verse, chorus, bridge, etc)

#8 ·
The best products for this kind of thing are Native Instruments Reaktor (fantastic, amazing product), Ableton Live, and even MainStage. MainStage is cheap if you've got a Mac and you have access to all the MainStage plugins without having to have the full Logic package.

Once you have one of these programs you can trigger samples with any MIDI device, but I would recommend one of these:

USB MIDI Controller | Music | MIDI | Korg nanoSERIES2

Any MIDI controller (keyboard, nanoPad, foot controller etc.) can trigger the samples for you, so whether you want it on the floor or at your finger tips it can be done.

#9 · (Edited)
we use a roland spd s for samples live.

they're great & quite cheap second hand.

has everything you listed & it also has trigger input wich is great for drummers (mine uses axis pedals so he has his e kit in the roland aswell)

Contrary to some other samplers out there the roland has no limit regarding time & file size limit. no problem having a 30Mb wav file intro with that thing, or largers symphonic backing tracks. it also attaches to a drumstand wich i'm sure your drummer will like :lol:

S & SX should pop up second hand around the 250-300£ range me thinks.

If you just want the simplest & cheapest way to use samples live, it's ipod or whatever your drummer has available to him.

Mix your shit stereo with sample's & other crap left. Clicktrack right.
Use DI box to split the stereo signal to 2 mono signals.
Left > PA. Right > headphones.

I'd prefer an actual sampler over entire tracks simply that you have no crowd interaction whatsoever anymore with pre made backing tracks like the ipod method.

#11 ·
we use a roland spd s for samples live.

they're great & quite cheap second hand.

has everything you listed & it also has trigger input wich is great for drummers (mine uses axis pedals so he has his e kit in the roland aswell)
That's been at the back of my mind for a while for the auxiliary samples, how does it handle fast double kick parts though? That's always been my concern that it may not be accurate enough at that speed. I've got a lot of drum libraries/samples so presumably I could just load WAV files in and trigger those? Wouldn't be dynamic but this is metal, who needs dynamics!!!!

Cheers for all your suggestions guys, I ended up talking to a friend of mine last night who's just got back from acting as the Production Manager for the Devin/Katatonia/Paradise Lost US tour, he's advised that i-Pod is probably the way to go. He said on the tour, Katatonia had no end of problems with running from a laptop, kept losing sound drivers, crashing mid set etc Whereas PL were running from an i-Pod with zero problems. He was giving me a little insight into the Devin set-up, but I don't think I want to get that integrated/dependant.

#10 ·
I had one of these for ages, worked great, but I recently sold it on Ebay. It surprisingly held its value after 12 years. It has a headphone and an RCA output.

BOSS U.S. - SP-202: Dr. Sample

#13 ·
Works great.

depending on wich roland you get you get more functionality.

I think the SPD-S can go 4 simultaneously.

Basicly made a single stroke kick sound in XLN AD drums, exported to wav & he's using that.

Also got a metronome built in, headphone's out, and all of the other crapparoonies drummers can use.

Sampling time is as long as you want. We use an intro track that's about 2min 30 sec live & the thing handles it with no problem.

They're more expensive but definatly worth the money if you plan on using sample's + kickdrum triggering tbh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.