What strings do you use on your six?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What strings do you use on your six?

ME: Les Paul Standard
    Rig: Randall RD45

What strings do you use on your six?

I'm a beginner, so I've only restrung my guitar twice now in the six months or so I've had it. I haven't had time to practice much til recently either. When I did begin increasing my practice time I went ahead and put a new set of Slinky Hybrids on (about 2 months ago) and they seemed to do pretty well until yesterday when I noticed my notes were sounding unusually flat/dead. I know two months sounds good, but keep in mind I'm a beginner just doing chord shapes, scales, changes and shit for the most part. Anyway, I bought a bunch of crap from Musician's Friend I needed, so I went ahead and got a three pack of GHS Boomers to try. I put those on last night and just wonder how well they will perform compared to the Slinkeys. I'm actually doing some rhythm and playing (well..think I am anyway lol) some tunes, so I think the recommended life is like a few weeks max before they crap out. This is on a PRS Soapbar2, and when I put the Slinkeys on I went for the Hybrids to get that heavier tone on the low E. However, the Boomers are 9-42s and actually sound chunkier to me. I dunno. I do know the PRS I have came with 9-42s originally. I wonder if that has something to do with it, and the fact is a dual P-90 pickup setup?

Anyway, what do you guys use, and what is your reasoning/experience/thoughts?

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

10-46 Elixirs.

[VIDEO]http://www.amazon.com/Elixir-Strings-Electric-6-String-NANOWEB/dp/B0002E1O3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360776057&sr=8-1&keywords=elixir+10-46]Amazon.com: Elixir Strings Electric Guitar Strings, 6-String, Light NANOWEB Coating: Musical Instruments[/VIDEO]

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Don't bother with anything else.

EXL 116 and EXL 110+ are my sets of choice.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Wirelessly posted ()

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    10-46 Elixirs.

[VIDEO]http://www.amazon.com/Elixir-Strings-Electric-6-String-NANOWEB/dp/B0002E1O3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360776057&sr=8-1&keywords=elixir+10-46]Amazon.com: Elixir Strings Electric Guitar Strings, 6-String, Light NANOWEB Coating: Musical Instruments[/VIDEO]
    . They last forever and sound and feel great. Make sure to get the NanoWebs, not the Polywebs.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

10-52 D'addarios. But i tune down to drop C. Probably too slinky for a lot of people. It does make it harder to pick fast, but you can be a bit more expressive with the vibrato.

Anyway it's D'addarios all the way for me, no matter what gauge.
    SULAMITH - Modern Thrash/Death from Germany

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

D'addario EXL-110 on 6'ers. I'd probably recommend the EXL-110+ like Greg said, since it's a slightly shorter scale

ME: Jackson Rhoads
    MB: Cheapo PJ
    Rig: Randall RG75G2

As a life long D'addario user I highly recommend them as long as you get a long with their string tensions. I routinely leave a set on for months at a time and while they don't sound amazing the entire time, nor should they be expected to, they sound fine for a non-gigging bedroom guitarist. I have switched to using GHS Boomers recently since I like how much more balanced their 14-70 set is compared to D'addario's 14-68 set. I think they work pretty damn good as a compromise between cost, feel, and sound. I can't recommend you a specific set cause I use really thick strings and really high tensions.
    1. You can't win, you can only break even
    2. You can't break even

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

10-52 in E, 10-52 on the strat in D (11-54 was too much somehow), 12-60 in C.
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD): www.sparrows613.com