New Rig Week

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rig Week

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

New Rig Week

I've been singing in my band for the last 10 months, but they've been together for about 10 years in different forms. Long story short, one of our guitarists got the boot and now I'm playing and singing at the same time.

I've hated my XXL head for years now because of the lack of tubes. Since my 2x12 won't hold up to my other guitarists Stiletto half stack, he's letting me borrow his JCM900 half stack, so immediately I thought of using the Marshall as a slave for the XXL.

I no longer hate the XXL head. I'm using the G-Force to go in stereo and man it sounds fucking killer. I'm not really using any crazy effects, my main/global is bone dry with just the gate and a lil' compressor. I won't bother going crazy with making a bunch of stereo effects because I won't be running in stereo when we play shows.

I totally forgot how fun it was to play so fucking loud. It's been a bitch playing these riffs and singing at the same time, but I've been given free reign to do as I please with my guitar parts, so finally these songs are going to get the dual-guitar harmonies they deserved....and I get to pretend I'm Devin Townsend.

Now you need a Skullet.

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Stereo rigs are awesome, especially once you start experimenting with chorus, delay and reverb.
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

ME: SVK Les Paul Custom
    MA: Washburn something
    MB: Charvel 1B
    Rig: Marshall 8100

Nice deal dude. And good luck with playing and singing at the same time.
    Do you know what time it is? It's time to FARK SHEET ARRRRRP!!

I'd love to use the stereo thing to it's full extent, but I'd be the only one getting the enjoyment of it. No sound guy is going to spend the time setting up 2 mics and mixing them for the ideal sound, if you're even going into a stereo P.A. system....

I've got a long ass ping pong delay preset with the mix at 50%, I think it's around 2 seconds, this one really shines when you're playing in stereo. Coming out of one amp, when the delays start stacking up it can get clouded and messy, but it's clear as a bell coming out stereo.

I've been doing acoustic covers since high school, so I'm used to playing/singing in that setting. I also played/sang in one of my former bands, but I was writing the riffs and the vocal melodies, so I would write around what I could play/sing at the same time.

I enjoy the challenge though. With this band, some of the vocal parts I wrote knowing that all I had to focus on was singing and some of the riffs I'm playing now while singing those parts, I'd normally be looking at the neck to make sure I'm playing it right.

Mental practice has been helping me more than physical practice. Visualizing the guitar part and the vocal part in my head and where they fall in and out of each other is key.

And I shaved a mohawk into my head last weekend, so no skullet. However, I'm 30 and about 65% gray, so I can be a metal Gandalf by 35 if I wanted.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Drew #2. Awesome!
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace