Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Stiletto Ace Combo or Head?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Josh 
#1 ·
So I was looking at some clips at the Mesa Lonestar and came across a clip of a Stiletto Ace. HOLY FUCK. Hit me in all those tingling spots in my body. So I did a ton of research on here on them and found out that the Ace seems to be the favorite out of the three variations and that's fine with me since I'll rather have 50 watts. Sadly I won't be able to afford one for a while unless a huge deal comes my way so I'll rather be prepared :lol:

So now onto my fucking question. How awesome is the combo cab? Seems to get really good reviews and I'm wondering if it would be smarter to get the combo. From what I read it seems like Mesa put a lot of effort into the cabinet. Also I know that it weights a fuck ton but I'm not gigging so that doesn't matter too much. If I go the head route I'll get an Orange or Mesa cab with V30's.

Thanks for any help guys.

#3 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

He's not gigging, though. Of the two, it is the better sounding setup, so no reason not to get the combo.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the information guys! It always helps that I really like the green it comes in a lot so getting the cab would look better than a green amp head with an orange cab.

Also regarding hernias, it seems like I will buy a cart to move it when necessary :lol:

Yea I grew up around guys who played stuff like Fender bassman and twin reverbs, Marshall Bluesbreakers, and Vox AC30's. I don't mind bigger combos basically :lol:

There are always a few used ones on GC's used site. I am ALWAYS tempted, because it's an amazing amp. For Mesa fans, it's a Marshall.
Why did you sell it? Too loud, needed the money?

What about the combo makes it sound better? It's closed back, so it's not that...
Everyone on here gave great reviews of the combo specifically so that's why I was asking the question. I looked up reviews of the combo and here is a description of the cab for it, not sure it the guys who have tried the combo would agree but we'll see their thoughts.
"Part of this sonic success is due to the amp's circuitry; the rest is thanks to the speaker enclosure's unique shape. The tuned cabinet has a sloped ceiling whose curvature improves air circulation and lets the speaker breathe between excursions. The result is quicker transients, a natural reverb effect and increased dimensionality. In fact, this cab sounded more like a small-box 4x12 than any 1x12 cab I've heard." -Source

#6 ·
As noted above, the combo is herniatingly heavy.

However, having played the Ace head with the Stiletto 2x12 and the Stiletto combo, I do agree that the combo sounds a little better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.