Metal Guitarist Forums banner

EVH Frankenstein humbucker

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Actually according to what's on that thread on the Duncan forum is that it is very close to a SH-11 Custom Custom with a weakened magnet.

#7 ·
Say what you want, but if it sounds better than the pickup in the Charvel EVH Art Series guitars, then it is worth every penny. Those guitars sounded absolutely amazing, and the pickup was incredibly dynamic and responsive.

#13 ·
Like the Duncan JB (Jeff Beck)? ;)

Sometimes, signature models transcend the original artist, and become a highly regarded and widely used piece of gear. Like the Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez Universe, or Peavey 5150.

#12 ·
$150 for a pickup? A lot of guys around here pay that for Bareknuckles, and more for Lungren. If you buy a new Duncan and have Wolfe rewind it, it's around the same. I really don't see the big deal. :shrug:

$300 hand signed, special commemorative pickup? Now that is profiteering.

#16 ·
The Screamin' Demon is pretty popular, too. The EMG 707 was, essentially, a custom pickup made for Dino.

#17 ·
While Dave and Mike are onto something here, if it's basically a production Duncan we're looking at, it's worth noting that a Screamin' Deamon goes for $90 new, give or take, and I don't see how EVH's initials are worth $50 more than Lynch's name. :/

#20 ·
Yes, Ed's name is worth more than Lynch's. Lynch is just some 80s hair metal shredder trying to hold on, while Ed is one of those rare guitarists that completely changed the way we approach the instrument. He's probably the next most important player compared to Jimi Hendrix in terms of approach and technique.

I'm not an Ed fanboi by any stretch, but I have to hand it to the man for his involvement in the development of a whole lot of interesting and important hardware. The fine tuners and whale tail on the Floyd Rose bridge were his idea. The modern superstrat owes its existence to his original Frankenstrat project, since he was the first guy to shove a humbucker in a Strat. The D-tuna, like the Tremol-no, is brilliant, well engineered, simply operated, and incredibly durable. He also has spent time winding his own pickups, and we have him to thank for the practice of wax potting. The 5150 series of amps are a permanent fixture in the metal scene, and not because of his name--they're great amps.

I'll say it again: if they are at least as good as the pickups in the Charvel EVH Art Series guitars, then I would gladly pay $150 for one. All said in done, I'm happy paying $79+shipping for a stock JB7, plus $55+shipping for a Wolfetone rewind, because tone is that important. There are guys around here who pay $439 for a set of Lungrens. $150 is not out of line for a great pickup. After all, how much did you pay for your Universe, which is basically a tweaked RG7620 with Vai's name on it? ;)

#18 ·
I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that i'm pretty sure there's signature guitar picks.

oh and $150 for a great pickup is ok - because on the used market, it's not going to be $150 :D lol

#19 ·
Just my $.02 but if an artist wants to associate their name to a certain brand or piece of gear, then all the power to them. Here's the rub though, if said item turns out to be bad (poorly built, sounds bad, etc..) then it's their name that's going to suffer for it.

The part of 'sig' stuff that I don't care for is when an artist passes away and all of a sudden there's a flood of guitars, amps, etc hitting the market with that person's name attached to it. A perfect case would be Dimebag. Another would be Joe Strummer. Fender is selling a 'relic' guitar for $1,500 or so and there's no way in hell he'd have ever signed any sort of endorsement deal because that's just the kind of guy Joe was.

To be optimistic about it, I see it as that they're trying to keep newer generations of musicians interested in older generation players by putting this stuff out so that they can feel like they have some sort of connection to it but the problem is that most of these things were never used by the artist they're 'signature models' of. :noway:

It kinda sucks because I'm sure many artists do endorsements to a) supplement their income/get free gear and to B) To have their more musically inclined fans form a stronger connection because they can buy the same gear that their favorite player uses. The downside is that they come off looking like greedy bastards if they endorse too many things.

just a matter of how many products is too many I guess.....

#22 ·
I agree with everything you said Dave, except for the whole "humbucker in a Strat" thing... there are plenty of guys who put 'buckers in Strats in the 60s and 70s.

People are willing to spend $150 on BKPs, and $200+ on Lundgrens. Honestly, for a 'special' pickup, if it sounds great, it's not totally out of line.

#23 ·
I agree with everything you said Dave, except for the whole "humbucker in a Strat" thing... there are plenty of guys who put 'buckers in Strats in the 60s and 70s.
Ed was the guy who got manufacturers to do it, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.