Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Help dialing in live tone

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 ·
I'm talkin about a good high gain tone I know that I need to be at volume to do it correctly. I was just wondering what some of your tricks to make sure it cuts good when I don't have a bass and drummer around. Do u play along with CDs. Cuz if I try to do it on my own I always love the tone but love it gets lost. Cuz I'm instinctively cutting mids when I "bedroom jam". Any advice. Thanks.
Ps I don't crank my gain.

#2 ·
Bass pretty low; I leave that to the bass guitar and kick drum. Usually have enough mids to add body and punch, but not too much that it starts to get in the way of the vocals. Treble and presence at a place where I have enough cut but not harsh or fizzy.

Dunno how to describe it better than that :shrug:

#9 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Less gain than you think you need, since the power you get from higher volume will help you punch through when you have clarity; too much gain makes for a fizzy mess.

Treble is in the preamp section, while presence is in the power section. EQ and gain controls tend to affect one another--drastically so in amps like Mesas--while presence can be used to tweak cut without altering the overall sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.